PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I have a pipe which has only been used for Escudo. This is partly because I have not smoked many different blends yet. I plan for this the be a dedicated Virginia pipe. Is there any reason that it should remain a VaPr pipe and that I should have a separate pipe for straight Virginas? Or is this too anal? Also this pipe is a large Dublin. is that a good choice for Virginias? It seems to be working ok for Escudo so far.

waxmojo

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2013
Although some might think so, I don't see the need for having separate pipes for straight Va and Vapers. The best Va pipe is one that works for you. You may want to try different bowl sizes but in the end what works for you, works for you.

I interchange all of my Virginias and VaPers in the same pipes. If I am getting a Perique ghost, then I'm not detecting it at all. More so than the shape of the outside of the pipe, the chamber is what matters for me. I like a deep and narrow chamber for my VA's and VaPer's, like .6-.75" x 1.2-2" stacks and chimneys. But, YMMV. I just find that it seems to focus the flavors more for me. Unless the blend is a bitey blend, then I use a wider chamber, as in Virginia#1 by MacBarons.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I have an old Charatan that is a dedicated Capstan pipe but that is just me being silly. My daily Medico's and others are used for both Virginias and VaPers depending on my mood.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
When I smoke English I smoke some pretty heavy ones. So I have 5 pipes that I smoke English in, 5 that are Va and VaPer, and 3 that are aromatic and hybrid blend pipes. I can't say it makes a difference but then again I've never tried..

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Nah, shouldn't be an issue. While there might be a perique ghost for the first several bowls it will pass and may even enhance your va experience until your new cake has settled in.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I smoke both in most of my dedicated Virginia pipes. There are a few I don't. One Castello just gives a dull smoke if it's not a VA/PER. I don't find that the perique ghost does anything to change the flavor of any straight Virginia.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Since our last wisenheimer has departed, I will offer this:
My pipe is dedicated to Virginias.
That said, I generally agree with those above. I do try to keep my VA pipes and VA/Per separated, but if I am out and about and have to mix em up, I don't mind.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The flavors of straight VA tend to be less defined than most other tobaccos. Thus I would dedicate them. But practically speaking, maybe in 200 years I will have a palate able to pick up:
1. ghosting. I've only detected latakia carryover

2. the taste of briar, or resin if it has not been correctly cured

3. the taste of a cob. Some say it is sweet or like corn

4. the rubber in vulcanite

5. the five overtones available in the morning as compared to the other 5 that come out at night.
The quality of the blends by GL Pease, Russ Ouelette and Rudiger L Will of Solani attest to the sensitivity of their palates, but I question the claims of most as to the acuity of their palates, especially in such claims as are above.
On Will from the 4noggins website:
Rudiger L. Will was literally born to blend tobacco, growing up in his father's tobacco factory playing amongst the hogsheads and bales of fine leaf. After spending over three years traveling the world studying tobacco growing, handling, and manufacturing, he soon announced his presence to the world by developing the original blends for one of the most popular lines of pipe tobacco ever, Borkum Riff. In 1997 R.L. Will, by then long established as one of the greatest blenders ever, introduced the Solani line of tobaccos. In developing the Solani line, Will wanted to offer the pipe smoker very mature tobaccos with as little additives as possible. The line has met with great success because of the taste, fantastic room aroma, and master blending ability of R.L. Will.

marcel

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2015
I tried smoking Mac Baren's Navy Flake in a Savinelli 611KS which I thought would be perfect but no matter how slow I smoked the tobacco burned very hot. I tried several different packing methods all with the same result. Then I smoked the rubbed out flake in a small prince shaped pipe and it smoked cool. I wanted to dedicate some pipes for Virginias but I'll have to experiment with pipe shapes. I don't think Virginias like big pipes.

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
I have been smoking Virginas in a Savinelli 611EX, a large dublin. It does burn pretty hot. I don't have much experience. Is this bad? Why is this bad?

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I have been smoking Virginas in a Savinelli 611EX, a large dublin. It does burn pretty hot. I don't have much experience. Is this bad? Why is this bad?
Only you can answer that. If it tastes good then bingo you have the right pipe

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
There are no set rules. It's all up to you. I like to have my dedicated va, vaper, and lat pipes. I even have one blend specific pipe. It's a big free world. Have at it and enjoy!

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
My Pipes are broke up like this
Va/VaPer

English

Aromatics
I haven't noticed any ghosting from the perique in the VaPers when I smoke Va's. The other thing is it takes me week maybe a month or more before I decide what I'm going to smoke in a pipe. I smoke a lot of straight pipes with my Va/Vapers and a lot of bent pipes for my English. just the way I like it..

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
My set-up is
Va/Burley in briars

Lakelands in the Falcon

Latakia in meerschaums
I have a few pipes dedicated to certain blends but I have no evidence that it makes any difference in flavor or not. It's just that when I get a transcendent smoke of a baccy in a pipe I tend to keep pairing them together.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I seem to enjoy Virginia leaf and Va/Per in smaller medium sized pipes, like the Peterson Around the World bulldog (commemorating Ireland), or the Killarney Rhody. That size bowl seems to bring up the flavor and its subtlety and keep the fire going with less work. Wide bowls, deep or not, seem to go well with more complex English and Balkan blends. Burleys seem adaptable, but I especially enjoy Semois in a deep, proportionately narrow bent billiard (Ferndown) that seems the perfect pairing for this burley variant. Smaller seem better to me for Va and Va/Per.

Status
Not open for further replies.