Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I always smoke my first bowl of Sir John's Flake Virginia each morning in my Altinok . I haven't smoked any other blends in this pipe for several hundred bowls and this has convinced me of the benefit of signing a pipe to a specific blend. All my other pipes are assigned to a specific blend type. There's no question in my mind this practice is beneficial to my smoking enjoyment. People should give this a try for awhile to determine if they find the same benefit.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I long for VaBur and Burley flakes, not English or Oriental blends, so de facto I have all my pipes dedicated to VAs, VABur and VAper tobaccos: with these I just grab the size of the pipe bowl for the smoke-time I desire. Anything with Latakia or other 'exotic' tobaccos (to my tastes) is smoked in pipes like corn cobs ... there's no way I want a lakeland ghost haunting the chamber in one of my burley bowls...

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
North Dakota, USA
When I find a favorite blend, I dedicate a pipe to that blend. The pipe will then take the nuances of that blend to the next level. Sometimes multiple pipes to one blend if I like it that much. But in the meantime, some blends get smoked in all my pipes minus those already dedicated.

Dedicating to genres doesn’t work for me. Lets say I want an English pipe. Well each blend has different amounts of Latakia. One bowl will be a 50% Latakia blend, the next a 10% Latakia blend. That Latakia ghost will carry over and i’ll think that 10% blend has more than it actually has.

The way I choose which pipe is dedicated to a certain blend: When the pipe is new to me, I smoke a lot of favorite blends through it. When one clicks, thats how I know

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
I dedicate pipes to Virginia/Burley blends, Latakia blends and aromatic blends.
Then I do dedicate a pipe to delicate Virginia blends that can easily be overwhelmed by ghosts.......Va#1, PS Luxury Navy Flake, 5100.......
When I get a new pipe I start them with either a VA blend or a Burley blend. If it smokes those fantastically, they get dedicated. If they are less than stellar, I try a Latakia blend. Most pipes smoke heavy Latakia blends pretty good in my experience. Its much tougher to find a great Virginia smoker for me.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I used to have a loose colour code for different genres of tobacco, i.e., light finish for Virginias, dark finish for Englishes, etc. As time has gone on, I have amassed enough pipes to dedicate specific pipes to specific blends (and their variants). Some are used more broadly.

Sometimes my choices are playful, where I’ll pair a pipe that is wrapped with Pony Hair covered leather (or a figural horse shaped pipe) with a blend that has a horse element in its name; or I might have a pipe made for a particular tobacconist and smoke blends from that tobacconist in that pipe.

Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
20240619_141325.jpg
I have a new *pipe waiting to join the club.

*🃏 It is just a clay pipe.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
My pipes are divided into categories of aromatics, non-aromatics (non-lat), and latakia blends. Occasionally I'll smoke a non-aro in an "aro" or "lat" pipe just to see what happens.

I'm not overly cautious about ghosting as I once was, but I do like to have some separation. Who wants to smoke Nightcap in a pipe previously used with Captain Black Cherry?

Any odd blends I'm trying out (deertongue, Lakeland, any other aromatics with unusual/strong flavors) are smoked in my current "beater" cob.

Reactions: Piping Abe

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Of course. Cobs are for the burleys of all kinds. Bulldog/Rhodesian are for English. Billiards are for VA. Pots are for Scottish.

But I don't follow those pairings other than for the cobs. I throw in codger blends to cobs also. Generally pipes with wide chambers will get more complex blends. Narrow chambers get VA related blends.

Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
I have certain pipes that are dedicated to specific individual blends.
I have certain pipes that are dedicated to specific genres.
I have certain pipes that are designated for sampling new/different tobaccos.

I assumed that my system was somewhat unique because, until quite recently, I had been smoking L.J. Peretti blends almost exclusively for nearly thirty (30) years.

Having read the other comments in this thread, I now realize that unique is a relative concept.