PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumpybear

Lurker
Dec 30, 2017
West Columbia, S.C.
I know there have been a few posts on this subject,so forgive me for asking again but I have some specific questions regarding dedicated pipes.
I notice that most people who dedicate a pipe to one blend have pipes for Virginia, pipes for Latakia, pipes for Kentucky etc.

I am wondering about aromatics. Aros seem to get dumped into a category all of there own regardless of what tobacco they contain. Does anyone have a pipe they smoke only cherry in? What about aromatic english? Would you smoke them in your "English pipe" or your "aro pipe"

I have six pipes dedicated to aromatics. I would use these for aromatic latakia blends also. The taint of aromatics doesn't really affect other aromatics, but they would definitely disrupt a non-aromatic. And, I would just consider the latakia to be a part of the aromatic quality of the smoke. I sometimes enjoy smoking an English in an aromatic pipe, to allow the ghosting to carry over on purpose.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
On the occasion that I smoke an aromatic, it's in a cob. Cobs are very absorbent, which is great for smoking wet / goopy aromatics, and also you won't have to worry about ghosting a briar.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I have one cob and one briar dedicated to aros. Lawdawg is right about the goop; the briar I use is an old Grabow Savoy that I use a Savinelli balsa filter in to swab up the muck.

14622704_1889_Guy_Meme-s250x250-299035.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I smoked Lakeland aromatics, I'd designate a pipe or pipes. I don't, and I have assiduously avoided designating pipes. Obsessiveness isn't at the core of my personality, but I have enough of that, I avoid organizing activities that don't categorically need it. Also, I have enough pipes that they tend to lose flavors by the time I get back to one.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I have a briar and a cob dedicated to aromatics, and a briar and cob dedicated to Lakelands. Just seemed from all I've read on here and elsewhere that it was the more logical thing to do. I'm too new though to really tell the differences.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I certainly have pipes that I primarily use for specific blend types, but not in the strictest sense. The OP mentions Aro/Lat blends and I do put them through my Lat/Oriental dedicated pipes because a little flavor transfer isn't always a bad thing. I do find pipes are less likely to ghost if you put different blend types through them. For example, the only Lakeland I smoke is Grousemoor which many say will ghost up a pipe, however this hasn't been my experience as I smoke it in several different non-dedicated pipes. As far as Aros are concerned, they are definitely NOT all the same and if one particular aro blend is smoked in a certain pipe it will ghost, however if you personally like the blend that's not a problem either. I find stronger tasting blends do resist noticeable flavor transfer. Conversely, I also have a dedicated Burley pipe that never gets any thing else, because when I want that nutty taste of burley, I don't want any flavor transfer. Just 20-30 pipes should be enough to have some dedicated and some not, and this way you can see for yourself what works best for you!

Jan 8, 2013
I've dedicated my pipes, mostly by accident, like this... Wide chambered pipes are mainly my balkan/english pipes as I find those blends deliver more flavor in such a chamber. My narrower chambered pipes are mainly my virginia and flake pipes, and the more standard sized chambered pipes are mainly my aromatic pipes. There is some carry over with some of my standard chambers or wide chambers. Sometimes I'll smoke an aro in a wider chambered pipe for the same reason I smoke balkan/english in them. And sometimes I'll smoke a flake in a more standard sized chamber. My meers get no dedication, and I'll smoke anything and everything in them, sometimes back to back, one blend type after another, and they do fine.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have genre dedications to non aros and aros. One for chocolates, one for citrus, one for vanillas, one for cherries, one for florals, and one for liquorice.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I sometimes enjoy smoking an English in an aromatic pipe, to allow the ghosting to carry over on purpose.
+1.
I just had Presbyterian in a pipe that had previously had a few bowls of Black Frigate run through it. Nice rum note in the background.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I have some Dark Flake Scented, and while I enjoy it occasionally I don't like mixing Lakeland stuff with anything else. I have a cheap cob dedicated to it. Exception: DFS and SG Chocolate Flake, which I don't think has any Lakeland topping, are good together for some reason. Ymmv of course.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I have a big pot meer that is strictly for smoking my fat bastard blend. It's to big of a bowl for virginias but great for a tasty smoke by the fire.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Chasing Embers has it going on. In reality, most don't dedicate a pipe to each genre of an aromatic because most don't smoke that type of aromatic enough to justify a pipe dedicated. If you smoke enough cherry blend to make it worthwhile, then go for it. If you don't then share it with other aromatics.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I have two briars dedicated solely to Lakelands, one briar dedicated to MacBarens Vanilla Flake and three briars & two cobs that get anything aromatic, be it cherry, vanilla, licorice or Lakeland etc.. I always use cobs or meerschaums for first bowl smokes of aromatics that are new to me.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Do any of you who dedicate aromatic pipes do so with Northwoods? I just got 8oz in, and haven't fired up a bowl yet, though the "bag note" is oh so yummy. I do detect some Cavendish flavoring, very light, which is why I ask. Im thinking about dedicating one of my briars to crossover English/aromatics. I also have quite a few MMs to choose from. I use those for 1-Q, Belmont Station and now Velvet, which i find I like VERY much. Usually, burleys give me serious mouth soreness, but not so at all with the Velvet. The Artful Codger (and ChasingEmbers) will no doubt be pleased....
CW (-.-. .--)

Status
Not open for further replies.