PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I see a lot of folks here drinking well. So do any of you have any unique or old secondary storage vessels or mixers? I will start with a flea market find. I paid 8 bucks for this thing and use it as decor. It still smells like an AMAZING bourbon. I like Jim Beam but this smells better than any Beam I’ve had, though my bourbon consumption began a good 20 years after this was produced. I understand they made these for every state.A171CC23-2A2E-4B8B-AE3D-117D6270C1BE.jpeg
PS I notice this states 86 proof, not 80. Therein may lie the difference compared to modern JB.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
That's a cool find! I noticed that its also aged 100 months---- 8+ years................ I think the recent JB is only 4 years aged. Would love to find an unopened bottle from that era and do a side by side tasting..............

Reactions: JOHN72

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I don't drink, (never have never will) but I bought my wife a crystal set for her whisky. Glasses, decanter, and then it came with a mirror plate.

I love just about everything that has to do with drinking. The history, accessories, and just the whole idea of it. So I was super excited to get that for her.

Reactions: JOHN72

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
That's a cool find! I noticed that its also aged 100 months---- 8+ years................ I think the recent JB is only 4 years aged. Would love to find an unopened bottle from that era and do a side by side tasting..............
Good eye. I didn’t catch the age statement. I thought it was saying 100 year anniversary fore some reason. Current JB is 4 years. I would love to find an old bottle from this era for sampling as well!
I don't drink, (never have never will) but I bought my wife a crystal set for her whisky. Glasses, decanter, and then it came with a mirror plate.

I love just about everything that has to do with drinking. The history, accessories, and just the whole idea of it. So I was super excited to get that for her.
That’s funny that you enjoy the accessories as a non-drinker but I know what you mean with some of those sets. This older fella I know has a set of glasses, coasters and shot glasses on a tray. They all match in appearance with this chrome-fading into smoked glass appearance. Very mid century modern. It just looks cool.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Unfortunaetly, Prohibition killed the bourbon industry, mainly because Americans developed a taste for smuggled Scotch whisky, which continued even after Prohibition ended. Jim Beam issued alot of unique decanter bottles, especially in the 1960's, to try to increase sales. Luckily, bourbon became fashionable again since then.

Jim Beam Black label was my go to back when it was 8 years old, but then Suntory bought them and it became 'Double Aged' (problematic because it implies it's 6 years old) and then 'Extra Aged'. I've since moved to Heaven Hill products like Evan Williams.

Some people salvage sunken smuggler boats from the Prohibition era, especially in the great lakes, and the whiskey they recover sells for egads amounts. Some of it is still good if the cork is still sealed. A few bourbon producers still operated during Prohibition, Old Forester is one, by making 'medicinal' bourbon, which you needed a prescription for. Good to be friends with your doctor!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I mostly drink wine or beer with meals, if at all, with the occasional celebratory bourbon. Scotch irritates my inner plumbing, though I've had a single malt or two that were worth the sipping.

Alcohol is mostly a sedative for me, not socially enlivening. I'm somewhat kinetic by nature, if not always productive, and I don't like to be cloudy headed and yawning.

The crystal decanters and glasses and such are appetizing indeed. Love the prism effects they produce.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
When I was in my 20's, I had a part-time job cleaning carpets with a friend of mine. One day we cleaned the carpet in the home of a German guy who owned a couple of German restaurants. He had a large glass wine decanter/dispenser that was on a stand with six wine glasses. It was decorated with glass grapes. It was full of wine and it was beautiful. I've never seen anything like it.

As for the JIm Beam decanters, my father had several car decanters sitting on a shelf by his bar. When he passed my mom sold them at a garage sale.

Reactions: Egg Shen