PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, I had a jar with some Vanilla Creme in it and when it was gone I washed it, put the lid on, and set it aside for future use.
Just got a tin of Capstan and brought out said jar to, well, jar the toby, only to find out it smells strongly of Vanilla Creme. Since I don't want vanilla-flavoured Capstan, I must ask, is there any way to get the ghost off the jar?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Did you replace the lid when you washed the jar? That rubber seal will hold scents for a long time.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Oh, so it's the lid. OK.
I had two spare brand new jars, one of which I just washed. I'll try to get some lids next time I'm at Safeway.
Thanks!

The aroma comes from an oil extract. Putting it in a dishwasher will not remove it.

You will have to use a rag and a dish detergent (I prefer Dawn). Use the rag to wipe out the inside of the jar really well. Then rinse. I suggest also filling one side of the sink up with hot water and add a cap-ful of bleach. Dip in the bleach solution as your last phase of cleaning.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I will re-use mason jars from the farmer's market that had jams in them. They're not ghosted and they clean easily in the dishwasher. I figure I'm paying almost $5 for a jar of jam...Im using the jars.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
My grandmother never smoked a pipe but, she did can a lot of things for a lot of years.
Boil the jar, pitch the lid and replace it.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
You guys are going through an awful lot of trouble. Just do what I do. Take off the lid, fart in the jar and re-seal it for several hours. You'll soon have a jar smelling like roses. Trust me... :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.