PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Stummel&Stem

Lurker
Jul 21, 2021
Conroe, TX
So I recently grabbed a Savinelli that was only marked as a "Savinelli Product," but also bearing the David's Choice imprint.
The scant bit of info I can find on the interwebs (almost all of it in dead threads here) is that the line was made by Sav for Blatter&Blatter in the early 80s.
Can anyone offer any more info than that? Shapes in the line? Better range of production dates? Because I find it hard to believe that this pipe is from the early 80s; if it is, then its former owner took care of it like nobody's business.

Stummel&Stem

Lurker
Jul 21, 2021
Conroe, TX
So I recently grabbed a Savinelli that was only marked as a "Savinelli Product," but also bearing the David's Choice imprint.
The scant bit of info I can find on the interwebs (almost all of it in dead threads here) is that the line was made by Sav for Blatter&Blatter in the early 80s.
Can anyone offer any more info than that? Shapes in the line? Better range of production dates? Because I find it hard to believe that this pipe is from the early 80s; if it is, then its former owner took care of it like nobody's business.
Oh-- pics to follow once it arrives.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Anything can happen in the pipe industry, but it seems odd Savinelli, which seems to be the highest volume pipe maker in the world, would outsource pipes from Canada. That is way counter-intuitive. I'll look forward to seeing the pipe when you post the picture. This fulfills the old saying "taking coals to Newcastle," that is taking a product to a place where it is super-abundant.

Reactions: magicpiper

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Anything can happen in the pipe industry, but it seems odd Savinelli, which seems to be the highest volume pipe maker in the world, would outsource pipes from Canada. That is way counter-intuitive. I'll look forward to seeing the pipe when you post the picture. This fulfills the old saying "taking coals to Newcastle," that is taking a product to a place where it is super-abundant.
wait I thought he was saying it was the other way round. That Sav was the one being asked to outsource their product. Who knows maybe I misread it.

Reactions: grilledokra

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Whom are all of these pipes being manufactured for? Us? For an almost extinct manner of enjoying tobacco, factories are still churning out new briar.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
David Zabinsky (Zabitsky?) emigrated to Canada with nothing. I'm sure he lead a life of some kind worth note, but he was a pipe smoker and at some point, because he couldn't find a decent pipe, he started importing pipes from Europe. He eventually went on to form David Cigar which was one of Canada's top cigar, pipe, and tobacco importers for decades. I met him (correction, I shook his hand, that's all) in the late 90s or early 2000s, I'm not sure. He was the original owner of Burlington on Whyte. The older guys all remember him.

I don't know what's become of the company since his death. I know I haven't heard good things about his son, Andre(?).

Stummel&Stem

Lurker
Jul 21, 2021
Conroe, TX
wait I thought he was saying it was the other way round. That Sav was the one being asked to outsource their product. Who knows maybe I misread it.
Correct the second time-- made by Savinelli for Blatter&Blatter.
This is unmistakably a Sav 320, just branded as David's Choice. No shield on the stem, no shape stamp, only "Savinelli Product" and "Italy."

Stummel&Stem

Lurker
Jul 21, 2021
Conroe, TX
David Zabinsky (Zabitsky?) emigrated to Canada with nothing. I'm sure he lead a life of some kind worth note, but he was a pipe smoker and at some point, because he couldn't find a decent pipe, he started importing pipes from Europe. He eventually went on to form David Cigar which was one of Canada's top cigar, pipe, and tobacco importers for decades. I met him (correction, I shook his hand, that's all) in the late 90s or early 2000s, I'm not sure. He was the original owner of Burlington on Whyte. The older guys all remember him.

I don't know what's become of the company since his death. I know I haven't heard good things about his son, Andre(?).
Aahh-- so it wasn't a B&B line, after all?
So confusing!!

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Aahh-- so it wasn't a B&B line, after all?
So confusing!!
I was under the impression that it wasn't some kinda commission and that they were regular Italian Savinellis that got the stamp simply because either David got a deal on them or someone wanted to do something nice for the old guy who had played an important role in the industry.

Edit: I got nothing to substantiate these theories.

Reactions: Stummel&Stem

Stummel&Stem

Lurker
Jul 21, 2021
Conroe, TX
Oh, also, about the early 80s thing. I was still seeing brand new ones on the shelf in this century. Old stock, I'm sure, but that might explain the condition of your pipe.
That makes sense, as this one looks very much newer than the early 80s. I'd still like to know more about the line, though, especially now that I know who David was.

Stummel&Stem

Lurker
Jul 21, 2021
Conroe, TX
I was under the impression that it wasn't some kinda commission and that they were regular Italian Savinellis that got the stamp simply because either David got a deal on them or someone wanted to do something nice for the old guy who had played an important role in the industry.

Edit: I got nothing to substantiate these theories.
Definitely Savinelli-made, but stamped for David's Choice, so my take is that, if not a commission, then you're second guess is correct.

Stummel&Stem

Lurker
Jul 21, 2021
Conroe, TX
As promised, pics!!
The nomenclature is pretty clear in the bottom. I couldn't see it before, but it has (had) the Sav shield on the stem. But someone buffed it out. ?
Also pictured is my other recent 320 acquisition-- that one from a series made for a Danish pipe club's 1997 competition.
Apparently, if there's an oddball one-off 320 out there, it will make its way to me eventually. 20211007_202108.jpg20211007_202134.jpg20211007_202155.jpg20211007_202208.jpg20211007_202341.jpg