PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
So my local B&M has ordered some Davidoff flake medallions and mentioned they can get their pipes. They gave our club a tin. The tin note was exquisite but I just can't wrap my head or my palate around perique. I am glad they have made this first step, but I gave them a list of tobaccos that we would definitely buy and they ordered this. They told me that comparatively they don't sell anywhere near as much pipe tobacco as cigars, but thats because they don't have anything worth buying. I am trying to help them. Anyway, does anyone enjoy Davidoff products? Any feedback would be helpful.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I have a Davidoff humidor purchased long ago when money was more plentiful than brains. As far as pipe tobacco is concerned, none of their's move me much. The medallions are quite nice, but don't rank highly enough for me to purchase very often.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I tried their blue and their red mixtures, both aromatics. I found them for cheap in a duty free shop while traveling through Doha a few years ago. When I got back to the states I saw how they cost more then most. I thought they were okay but nothing fantastic and nothing special enough to entice me to pay more then I would for other blends.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have always wondered who makes their pipes, anyone know? Generally Davidoff does use high quality companies to produce products for them.
roth, are the medallions worth going after? I smoke Escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy rolls for my coins, are they as good or better than those two?

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I have 3 of the pipes(estates), a couple of tampers, lighters and a cigar humidor. The pipes are to small for me but are elegant, beautiful but, IMO not worth anything close to their MSRP. I've found over the years my little Davidoff slim lighter is the one I reach for most often. 8O

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
I've smoked almost all of Davidoff tobacco, only Scottish and Danish mixtures satisfies me. Flake Medallions is also great tobacco but its price is very high (I got it from Dubai at 27$ per 50g tin) and I think it doesn't worth that price. Blue mixture is well tolerated mixture for starters but you have to keep it as humid as you can, and I have to notice that it doesn't cause any tongue bite. Red and Green mixture aren't my mixture; no flavour at all and bad taste. Royalty is also a great mixture, one of the best english blends i've ever smoked but can't be daily smoke, better to keep it away for special nights.
Regarding to pipes, what can I say! paying more than 700$ for a pipe is not my life style. I prefer to spend my money on tobacco rather than hand-cut davidoff pipe. BTW Dunhill's quality is better than Davidoffs' pipes and close in price.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
My perception of the entire Davidoff line is that they are a status brand without any unique qualities of their own. If I had a choice between a similarly priced Dunhill/Charatan and a Davidoff, I would never choose the Davidoff; to me, the name doesn't stand for anything.
Now, I've never even seen a Davidoff pipe, let alone compared it with anything else. So my bias with regard to their pipes and pipe tobaccos is completely irrational. But I remember when their Zino cigars were introduced in the mid-1980s while I was working at a tobacco shop. They were twice the price of anything else we carried, and they simply didn't deliver in the smoke. (And it was fairly obvious that the folks who were drawn to them at that point were only interested in having the most expensive cigar in the store. . . without regard for its actual quality or its smoking characteristics.)
Unfortunately, that initial experience with the brand has colored my perception ever since. . .
Bob

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, I do have all three of the Stokkebye flakes in my cellar. All are at least 3 years old. I tried smoking them when I came back to my pipes in May but I began getting bit from the red virginia's in them. I used to be able to smoke them and enjoyed all three but now I cannot. It sucks because they are the best value in flakes on the market. Luckily my son likes them so he has been smoking them pretty consistently. When you compared the Medallions to them, I figured I will not be able to smoke them because of the red's in it. If I am not mistaken, doesn't Stokkebye make this blend for Davidoff?
rmbittner, I remember when my buddy who owns a cigar store took on the Davidoff line, he was psyched because he knew his customers would buy the over priced things. He did have to take on 10K worth of accessories that sat for years but he does real well with the stogies. People love being seen with that white label. I own one Davidoff product, it is a beautiful lighter with an angled flame for pipes that I picked up in Paris. At the time the French Franc was in the toilet so I got a great deal. It is my dress up pipe lighter that does not get used very often.

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
I'm I missing something here it's my understanding that the Stokkebye LBF and the Flake Medallions are from the same factory and machine. Other than the price the only difference being one is bulk and the other tin.

Dec 24, 2012
Easygoer, I smoke and stock both. I do believe that the DFM are a higher quality tobacco (or possibly they are just pre-aged and so come across that way). They are very similar.

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
Thanks Peck. It's off topic but based on "What are you smoking" I see that it is you and Harris that are hoarding the Brigham Klondike Gold.

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
Yeah I read that Peter I guess that is one of the reason the blend is not discussed more. I really don't have much to complain about in Canada when I can order it from SP for under $10

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
cigrmaster - Harris, you asked who made Davidoff pipes. I have a feeling they have been made by different pipe makers as I have seen examples stamped Made in England, Made in Denmark etc.
But I did have a suspicion on one maker, which has been confirmed to me by someone else. it is a bit of a trade secret, but the use of the half saddle stem by the other maker, gave it away. Gigi in Italy have been producing many of the Davidoff pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.