PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
Picked up a tin of Davidoff flake medallions at my local BM and had to share it with you as i found the tobacco to be absolutely gorgeous.

20200408_080552.jpg

The tobacco is cut in beautiful big round coins and the tin note is of rich full natural tobacco without flavoring or adulterants. I feel like if one were to distill the base note and essence of the sent of pure tobacco this it what they would end up with. My wife commented that she recognized the sent from some of my aftershaves.

Straight out of the tin the tobacco is on the dryer side compared with SG coins, but I guess that goes for most tobacco compared to SG. It's still pliable, moist enough and feels ready to go without extra drying.

20200408_080642.jpg

The coins are easily rubbed out and the centers break into small pieces while the outer crumbles into nice soft big balls of long curly strands.

I fill my pipe using my normal codger mash with indexfinger technique and check that the draw is nice. Two coins is slightly more than this pipe will hold.

20200408_080948.jpg

Brought this pipe with me to work today and will update when I've had a chance to smoke it.

Mis Pipas

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Holy Land
Picked up a tin of Davidoff flake medallions at my local BM and had to share it with you as i found the tobacco to be absolutely gorgeous.

View attachment 25707

The tobacco is cut in beautiful big round coins and the tin note is of rich full natural tobacco without flavoring or adulterants. I feel like if one were to distill the base note and essence of the sent of pure tobacco this it what they would end up with. My wife commented that she recognized the sent from some of my aftershaves.

Straight out of the tin the tobacco is on the dryer side compared with SG coins, but I guess that goes for most tobacco compared to SG. It's still pliable, moist enough and feels ready to go without extra drying.

View attachment 25708

The coins are easily rubbed out and the centers break into small pieces while the outer crumbles into nice soft big balls of long curly strands.

I fill my pipe using my normal codger mash with indexfinger technique and check that the draw is nice. Two coins is slightly more than this pipe will hold.

View attachment 25709

Brought this pipe with me to work today and will update when I've had a chance to smoke it.
+1

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
These are available in Greece, but they are outrageously expensive for some reason. Tried a coin from a friend, liked it but not enough to consider buying them myself.

Reactions: Gecko

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
first coin I ever tried. And it's still one of my favorites. It reminds me so much of quality leather. In my opinion it's like they distilled the essence of a fancy pants library into a rope and sliced that up. It's also complex but not perplexingly so. It seems to change as the bowl is smoked. Wish I could buy this one in bulk!

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
This is a nice blend. I get a lot of bread notes from the tin. It is slightly sweet smoking and nice. If it wasn't $50 a tin here I'd smoke it daily.

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
Have smoked it now and it was very pleasant.

Nice mellow pure tobacco taste from the Virginia. Very easy to light and to keep lit, burned to the bottom with only a single relight. Pleasant, mild and unobtrusive room note.

Felt like a bit above average nicotine strength, but that may also just be me smoking a bit to fast.

Couldn't taste much of the Perique. None of the peppery notes I was expecting.

All in all a refreshing pure clean tobacco change from the Rattray aromatic I've been smoking these past couple of days.

Will smoke a couple more bowls of this tomorrow and perhaps I will find more of the Perique flavor then.

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
This is a nice blend. I get a lot of bread notes from the tin. It is slightly sweet smoking and nice. If it wasn't $50 a tin here I'd smoke it daily.

Yeah, I could see this being a all day or only tobacco for someone, really feels like a well rounded quality blend. Found it for 30 USD at my local BM which is a little less than I normally see it priced at here in Sweden.

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
first coin I ever tried. And it's still one of my favorites. It reminds me so much of quality leather. In my opinion it's like they distilled the essence of a fancy pants library into a rope and sliced that up. It's also complex but not perplexingly so. It seems to change as the bowl is smoked. Wish I could buy this one in bulk!

"Quality leather" is a great description for it, really spot on! ?

Reactions: anotherbob

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
+1

Pipestud had a number of 2013 cans of flake medallions he was selling about a year ago that I snapped up. Very underrated. Not much pepper or bite. On the sweeter side. More similar to LBF than compared to Escudo or Navy Rolls.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It was whole lot better for me after being in the jar for about three months. The perique was bit on the strong side for my taste. But after few months in the jar, it developed deep dark fruit notes and wonderful to smoke. I was having really bad time with perique when I opened the tin.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
These are available in Greece, but they are outrageously expensive for some reason. Tried a coin from a friend, liked it but not enough to consider buying them myself.
your are correct,they are expensive here,have your tried HU Directors Cut available from Estervals 100gr for the same price as 50gr davidoff 22 euros

Reactions: anotherbob

michail

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 7, 2015
Paros, Greece
Davidoff flake medallions is my favorite all around blend.

It's been at or near the top of my preferences for the last 7-8 years.
No matter the phase of smoking habits I've gone through it's always a pleasant smoke.
Plus as stated already it was the only tobacco that I could consider smokable available in Greece for some time.

I've tried and smoke also PS luxury bullseye flake that comes out from the same factory and their differences seem to fade in a blind test I did when PS gets 6months in jar.

I really love them both and I don't think I smoke anything more that those 2 combined.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Davidoff flake medallions is my favorite all around blend.

It's been at or near the top of my preferences for the last 7-8 years.
No matter the phase of smoking habits I've gone through it's always a pleasant smoke.
Plus as stated already it was the only tobacco that I could consider smokable available in Greece for some time.

I've tried and smoke also PS luxury bullseye flake that comes out from the same factory and their differences seem to fade in a blind test I did when PS gets 6months in jar.

I really love them both and I don't think I smoke anything more that those 2 combined.
Do you fold the coins and stuff, or do you fully rub them out to smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.