Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I have not tried any of their blends but some of their burley blends are rated well on tobacccoreviews.com

There seems to be a lot of controversy regarding their blends being RYO and not smoking well in a pipe. Does anyone have an experience with D&R blends and if so, what are your favourites or least favourites?

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
D&R was, at one point, a manufacturer of RYO tobacco. A few years back, they got into the pipe business. I think people associate them with cigarette tobacco because Mark Ryan makes very dry blends, compared to other pipe tobacco producers. I like this a lot, especially as (in Mark's words) "I don't charge you for water".
I particularly like the VaPer blends Rimboche AP and Rimboche AB.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Their Va-Burley mixes are pretty good, IMO. Two Timer Gold is one of my favorites.
I'll only buy their tinned blends because I once ordered a 1 lb. bulk bag and it came with a lot of "mummy dust", due to the handling of the dry-ish leaf, I suppose.
BTW, they excel at producing VaPers. Rimboché A.P. being top-notch, IMO.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I've tried the D&R Raccoon blends - Raccoon Friend, Raccoon Delight and Raccoon Accent.

My two favorites were Raccoon Accent which contains Yenidje oriental leaf and Raccoon Delight which has latakia. The Delight reminds me a little of a cigar.
Slightly off topic, but if you are a cigar smoker, Daughter & Ryan joined forces Tabaclera to produce the 1881 Perique cigars. These are good cigars.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Burley lovers may want to try Two Timer. It was on sale at PC in pound bags, and jiminks and Cosmic recommended it, knowing I'm a burley enthusiast. I shared a sample with a pipe smoking friend, very experienced. He found it too toasted tasting, but I find it an excellent burley blend, two kinds of burley leaf twice toasted. I was greatly pleased to discover he is just up the road in my part of the country, a little town in Central N.C., Kenley, though the post box is in the larger town of Smithfield. I haven't had any issues with it being RYO; it might be viable, but it seems well cut for a pipe. Two Timer Gold has Virginia as a condiment, and Two Timer regular is just the two burleys.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Thanks MSO. I can’t believe the price of the D&R blends on SP, that’s part of what started my interest into looking in to these blends. Some sound good and based on reviews I think most are worth a try

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
London Dock is my favorite aromatic of all time, and Three Sails is a right decent smoke.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Being very dry and next to no casing, they require an adjustment of smoking technique to enjoy.
Pack tighter and smoke slower. Otherwise, it goes fast and hot.
I have 3 bags, Ramback, Ryback and Picayune. All three opened bags have lived unjarred in my smoking room at humidity varying from 40-70% and are at a perfect smoking state.
The Ramback is a great anytime smoke. The Ryback is similar to Peter Stokkebye's Amsterdam. The Picayune will set your nostrils ablaze when you first light it. After some time, the pepper backs off a bit and a little figgy essence comes through.
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think it's quality leaf. This (their home base) is historical tobacco country, and I think they'd disdain to sell anything that wasn't primo product.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I pretty much smoke ONLY D&R, regularly, anyway. I buy the bags. Some of the blends are cut extra fine, and could easily be RYO tobacco, but they're all quality tobaccos that this company sells, and there is taste is the fine cuts too, if you can manage to smoke them slowly enough.

I love to use the Picayune as an additive to their TwoTimer and 3 Sails. Each is quite enjoyable on its own.

The only blend I've NOT really 'cottoned' to, is a Penhooker Green, a relatively new offering that is mentholated. I was looking for a slight mint taste, not full on menthol. I assume this will diminish over time, and it will become something I experiment with in mixes.

Lately I've been smoking one called Vengeur Silver.

I keep the bags in coolers, no jars, and I use plastic tubs for what I keep 'out'. No problems so far with any deterioration.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
I think D&R understands that a lot of current pipe smokers once smoked cigarettes. Don't buy a bag thinking you'll just try a cigarette or two. I mistakenly did that.

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
Bought some for my brother for his own RYO.He said it was too harsh.I may just try packing it in my pipe though. I bought 2 bags for him.1 pure Virginia and 1 Burley and Virginia blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.