PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Thanks Roth. I'll look into that one.
The other one that piqued my interest was the double toasted barley one. I'll have to add a few of their blends to my spreadsheet.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The Ramback Balkan has been discontinued because of some of the tobaccos not being available any longer. It's unfortunate, as it had some great Virginias and Orientals.
Russ

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
They have also just introduced a line of cigar with Perique in them. I have tried them and they are quite good. Perique in a cigar has a totally different flavor in a cigar than it does in a pipe blend.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
What I got out of his show was the tobbaco was first quality and his 40 oz tin did not have the moisture most 50oz tins has so you were not buying water. Very good explanations on his tobbacos , but shame on me I have yet to try them.

I picked up a couple of tins, after hearing the interview with Brian. As warned they are very dry, but they burn sooooooo Goooood. Rowland Platinum has replaced the dark flake as my end-of-day smoke. It packs a nice nice gut punch that sets my mood for bed. They pack a little loosely in the bowl because of the dryness, but they burn cool and dry.
I recommend this brand. It does take a little adjustment to your way of think that pipe tobacco should be. It will seem dryer than necessary, but trust me, the smoke is good. In my opinion, anyway.

Thank you (your welcome) Fitzy,

I am also curious (with reservations) as to whether this brand would age well, if I bought bulk and canned them. The dryness makes for a great smoke out of the tins, but in my understanding of the fermentation process, some moisture is required to make the tobacco host the microbes that are needed to ferment, making the aging process worthwhile.
I enjoy the tins that I've tried, but I will probably wait till I hear from someone whether or not buying bulk would be worth the effort. Of course the only one I would even consider for the cellar would be his Va and VaPers.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I am enjoying, right now, a tin of D&R RAMBACK GOLD (they us all caps on the tin, I am not shouting).
It is very dry, but smokes very cool. The 40 gram tin has more pipe tobacco in it than most 50 gram tins, I guess because the dryer pipe tobacco is lighter.
No review as I am just getting into it.

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
A few years ago I bought a considerable amount of "cigarette tobacco" with the same names. Recently I bought some "pipe tobacco" with the same names. They're the same thing. I've said before, "there is no such thing as RYO tobacco". Put in your ear for all I care, it's still just tobacco.

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
I bought two cans just to try. They are pretty cheap for the 40g tins. I've only tried one the sj rimboche. It is really dry so it smokes differently than pipe tobacco. The favors also seemed a bit muted but you still get that vaper flavor. My problem with them are the major lack of descriptions of the blends. Even after listening to the podcast twice I still wasn't sure what's what here. Their website is also a joke. He seemed to blame the gov for his business problems while this may be part of the problem the tobacco could use a llittle better branding or marketing. However he gets major props for keeping perique alive.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
The Ramback Balkan is back in stock. It's very good. Haven't smoked any in a few months. I mostly remember the bag aroma, smells like spice cake or cookies.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I haven't picked up any of the tins yet but Mark did get me hooked on the Picayune small cigars. They come packed filtered like cigs in a cardboard box of 20. Talk about a nice full bodied quick smoke! I love them in the mornings on the drive to work when I don't have time to enjoy a pipe!

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Msandoval, I'm curious, are you smoking them like a pipe? As in, not inhaling? Or are you smoking them like cigarettes?

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I smoke them without inhaling. They are far to rough for me to inhale.
The perique in there gives it a very nice and strong flavor profile that is spicy and very satisfying. I'm not big on the filter since I don't inhale but they do smoke very well for me. They burn slow too, about a 10 to 15 min smoke if you don't puff too hard.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Oh wow, 10 to 15 minutes? Looking at a pic of a carton of them I guessed they were the size of a cigarette. Are they a bit larger? And where do you buy them at? I found only one online retailer. Sorry for all the questions...
Dave

yellowfan

Lurker
Nov 30, 2013
My tobacco shop (Indian River Tobacco Traders) in Grand Rapids MI sells the entire line of D&R tobaccos in bulk, tins, bags, and tubs. I run the only pipe club in Grand Rapids and the guys in my club absolutely love the Rimboche and Picayune blends. You can buy on our website at www.indianrivertobacco.com, or stop by the store at
Indian River Tobacco Traders

608 28th St. SW

Wyoming MI 49508

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
Mark has deliberately blended some very nice pipe tobaccos, with wider cut then his RYO. The tobacco is dryer then we are used to, but pack it tight and it burns great and long. He supports Pipe Shows and is very interested in developing further pipe blends. His very best is the one developed with the help of the Triangle Area Pipe Club called TAPS VIP. Even better then the three Rimboche' blends, which I have been enjoying for quite some time. Mark plans to make another run of the VIP this month, and I plan on putting up 20 tins ASAP. It is a limited production blend, so who knows how long he will be able to make it available.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
I've had several of their perique offerings before, and all have been good. I talked to Mark at the 2012 Chicago Show, I think it was, and he seemed like a good natured guy.
His blends are noticeably more dry. I don't think this is a bad thing at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.