PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I apologize if this question has already been answered. Since D&R has been sold, does that mean that they will not longer be offering any blends at all, and whatever is already out there is it? Or will they just be discontinuing some of their blends?

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Also do a search on this forum. The topic of D&R blends and recent changes has been discussed in detail not long ago.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
They discontinued a few low sellers: Ramback Balkan, VIP, the Raccoon series, Two Timer Gold, AB Rimboche, and I forget what else. They weren't discontinued for any other reason than low sales.
Too bad about the two timer gold. I was just starting to get into it

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I saw an interview with Mark Ryan, and what I gathered was that he didn’t really have any say what blends stay or go, and that in addition to some blends being slow sellers, a lot of it had to do with the new regulations and the new buyer not wanting to spend the money to get them approved-those are the newer pipe blends he created after D&R became strictly pipe tobacco. He also said that the tobaccos in Ramback are becoming impossible to source in anything but huge quantities, way more than would make economic sense.

Reactions: JimInks

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Looks as though all of the new regs are starting to hit closer to home. I don’t smoke any D&R blends, but it seems that an increasing number of blends are starting to go dark. I know it happens all the time, it’s part of the game with small operations, etc. but still unsettling to see from this newbies perspective.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Looks as though all of the new regs are starting to hit closer to home. I don’t smoke any D&R blends, but it seems that an increasing number of blends are starting to go dark. I know it happens all the time, it’s part of the game with small operations, etc. but still unsettling to see from this newbies perspective.

You really owe it to yourself to try Rimboche SJ. If that stuff was in a tin, it’d sell out everywhere. All of the others I’ve tried have been no less than stellar. They are priced almost criminally cheap, too-so for a newbie, it’d be worth your while to try them. Those that love D&R are biting their nails these days.

It didn’t seem in the interview that Mark was worried about the brand itself disappearing, or really even changing that much, but who knows what the future will bring.

Reactions: dcon and mtwaller

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
You really owe it to yourself to try Rimboche SJ. If that stuff was in a tin, it’d sell out everywhere. All of the others I’ve tried have been no less than stellar. They are priced almost criminally cheap, too-so for a newbie, it’d be worth your while to try them. Those that love D&R are biting their nails these days.

It didn’t seem in the interview that Mark was worried about the brand itself disappearing, or really even changing that much, but who knows what the future will bring.
You can buy SJ Rimboche in a tin, but of course, it's much cheaper if you buy a one pound bag.

Reactions: dcon and anotherbob

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
"He also said that the tobaccos in Ramback are becoming impossible to source in anything but huge quantities, way more than would make economic sense." - If anyone is interested, check the FS section for a bit of Ramback.

Reactions: anotherbob

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Buy it while you can. I got several pounds of it.

I haven't tried this, but you may try experimenting with Two Timer and Windsail to approximate it. I think that might work.
Jim, may I ask how you would approximate Picayune? I have Samsun ribbon, perique ribbon, Ryback and Rimboche A.P., would some mixture of those come close you think? What would you do?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Who bought D&R and where will the blending be done? It used to be in a small town in central North Carolina, but I assume with the sale, it will relocate.

Status
Not open for further replies.