PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
npod, I have a recent bag on Penzance which also has the 910C083 code. The plot thickens. Or maybe the highly trained Trappist monks who hand-write the labels with solid gold pens at Germain were a little drowsy from the otherworldy odor wafting up into their nostrils and made a mistake.

Reactions: dmcmtk
Dec 24, 2012
It was suggested to me that the 2019 conclusion from the code may refer to a production year rather than a calendar year. So for example, if the production year was Sept 1 2017 - Aug 31 2018, tins and bags in that period would be designated with the 8 for 2018 production year. If true, this may explain the 9, if the production year goes from 2018 into 2019. Just a thought though.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I have a question, when was the changeover from the cream colored to the gold bags?

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Based on Neal's photos, I guess some time between 2007-2010. I wasn't hunting Esoterica at the time, so a more precise answer will have to wait for somebody a little linger in the tooth than me.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I have a question, when was the changeover from the cream colored to the gold bags?

Right around 2010-2011 best I can tell.
Good thoughts on the "9" number Peck. Either way, it's only off one year and for long term cellaring that's not a big deal.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Right around 2010-2011 best I can tell.
Thanks for that. I have cream colored bad of Stonehaven that I must have received as "old stock" that I bought around the ~ 2012 time period. Two Stonehaven, one cream colored and one gold.
:D

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Today's "Hap is an idiot moment" for your comic relief: due to this thread, I was looking at some Esoterica tins I own, and while inspecting some Margate from this year, I saw a code 'XXXXXXXX MAR' (I forget what the Xes were, and it's not 'Germain' to this story). I was really puzzled by the 'MAR' part though, and thought maybe it meant this tin was produced in March, and was seconds away from asking about it on here, when I realized MAR is for Margate... :|
For a pretty smart guy, I sure am dense sometimes.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, would your hypothesis hold up in a court of law? If there is a shadow of a doubt, then this system doesn't work. I am way too lazy to go looking through my Esoterica stash to verify any of this. Maybe one day I will look through my bags to see if this is a real thing or if it is just something peck thought up just to mess with everyone.

Jun 27, 2016
"Pre 2010, the codes are sketchy. Not as reliable. All these below are 2007-2011."
You were getting square tins before a year or two ago?

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
The 2019 bags are accurate as you start seeing codes for the following year in the 4th quarter of the year. I’ve got tins of Germain and eso that start with 9 from recently bought drops.
The code system stated in the first post applies all the way back to the white butera bags also. So for Npod - that white 8oz butera penzance is from 2011. Germain started using this code system with the Butera “era”. I know the next question will be, but what about 2009 and before? You see a one less number in the code, the code gets shorter but the first number is still the year. Butera codes from the late 90s only have three numbers, with the first still being the year.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
You were getting square tins before a year or two ago?

Good eye. Yeah there are a few recent square tins in that picture. My bad. I just threw that up to show that I have a decent older inventory to look at for the codes. You are correct, the square tins are all after 2016 time frame.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Square Penzmace tins started in very late 2016, with tins that start with a 7 code. Germain also started putting letters in the codes starting in 2017. No idea what the letters mean though!

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Just got three Germain tins a week ago all dated 2018 if following this method. Manufactured in July I think.

svanni

Lurker
Apr 18, 2019
New to the board, thank you for having me.
I received a large tobacco lot from an estate liquidation.

Can you take a look at this Pembroke label and give me an approx date of mfg ???

Thank you in advance.

BTW, this Pembroke is outstanding.
Steve
view

Status
Not open for further replies.