PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
So I've read the articles that come up when I google "dating a Sasieni pipe". I'm hoping the experts here can help me pinpoint a little more precisely.
I have a Rhodesian/Bent Bulldog with a rustication that can only be described as small rough grooves cut into the briar followed by a light sandblasting. First off, there are no dots on the bakelite(?) P-lip stem so I assume this is a replacement(?). Did Sasieni ever offer a P-lip that would have not had dots installed? The stamping is:
Sasieni

Four Dot

London Made

Pat. no. 150221/20

Danzey
...with "Made in England" perpendicular and to the left side in a 'football' shape. The "Sasieni" does not have the fish motif underneath and the script is more 'upright' and not slanted.
From what I've read, this is an Alfred Sasieni, post WWII but can anyone give me any more info?
Thanks!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Sounds like your dating is right on. The stem is undoubtedly a replacement. Folks like Mike Meyers can make you a replacement from a photo and may even be able to dot it for you.
-- Pat

May 31, 2012
Sasieni threads are always fun!
I really enjoyed this one:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/sasieni-shape-code
:)

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I really enjoyed this one.
A classic, with the most information about the Patents I've ever seen in one place. Bookmarked for reference.

The pipe in the OP, I would say your dating is correct, and the stem is not the original.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Great info! Still going through it all. The reference therein to the finish being called 'walnut rustication' is spot on! Reminds me of a peach pit too.
So the 1946 side of the band (1946-1950-ish) is very clear cut. What about my pipe cuts off its date of manufacture to around 1950?
Is Mike Meyers the guy to go to for restoration work? I also have a Dunhill Cumberland that needs some 'refreshing'. I do like that Mike Meyers does the no-scuff stem replacement. Nothing more annoying to me than the lighter band around a replacement stem from the removal of patina.
Thanks all!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
1946 thru 1950 is the correct range. 1946 is the year that the Sasieni logo changed, with the death of Joel Sasieni and his son Alfred taking over the running of the business. 1950 is the year that the patent ran out.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
OK folks. I sent this Sasieni to Mike Meyers today for full resto and proper replacement four dot stem. I have high hopes for it! What do you experts figure a Four dot rusticated bent bulldog from 1946-1950-ish with replacement stem is worth these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.