PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Well, I had today off of work and decided to peruse the ebay listings. I stumbled on this Sasieni. I'm not a Sasieni expert by any means, don't event own one. This was listed with a start bid of $99.00 or buy it now for $199. In the past I have lost out by thinking too long, trying to research etc. etc. I pulled the trigger on this, now I'm not so sure? I saw that it has a Pat. number on it, but the pictures aren't real clear. Open to any thoughts from the Sasieni guys out there..........
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sasieni-Four-Dot-Estate-Pipe-London-Made-England-Birds-Eye-/331532434472?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&autorefresh=true&hash=item4d30df7c28&nma=true&si=y2tDxKj6nXvor8a5x%252BP51Icj3tQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
The important question, first and last, is always do you really want the pipe? If you do, then "buy it now" is a godsend. It lets you lock in a purchase you definitely desire at a known price.
Honestly, if I really want a pipe then price is secondary; certainty is primary. I am a victim of what economists call inelastic demand. And that's fine with me. In these cases I value surety of outcome over getting the best possible price.
Now speaking less generally, I think it's a very cool pipe, you paid a fair price, and it will give you a lot of pleasure. Congratulations on your first Sasieni!

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"In these cases I value surety of outcome over getting the best possible price"
Me too at times. That looks like a great pick-up. Lot of nice Bird's Eye.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
NW Missouri
$199 for a Sasieni Bent Bulldog with a patent number and in what appears to be good shape is not a bad deal. Plus, like jguss, I have inelastic demand when it comes to a very select type of pipe.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The Danzey shape, a classic. By the markings, with Patent No., post-war, roughly 1946-50.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
It's all depend on your pipe use and care now.

If you use as a good smoker I'm sure it will be value much more than you paid.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Thanks everyone!
I'll post better pictures when she arrives......

Dave- thanks for the date information. I had a hunch it was older, with the Pat # and all, but wasn't sure.

I don't know Sasienis at all, looking forward to this one...... :puffy:

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
The pipe arrived today. Stinger is intact (yay!!):

Its a dandy little pipe, weighs 46g. It won't take much to bring it back to life. The stem needs a good polish and its got some ancient cake in the bowl. I'll post pics when I get it all done.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Nice score. squat bulldogs are my favorite. I have 4 and I'm always looking for more. hope it smokes as well as it looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.