PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I tried, I really did, but can not seem to nail down an approximate date on this pipe. I am interested in purchasing it, but would like to know about which decade it was made. Any ideas? These photos come from the seller...

1.jpeg
2.jpeg
s-l1600-1.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: B.Fee and Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
SPC had circa 40s for this one, and the pair which were featured on the pipes revival blog with similar nomenclature were 40-50s.

Edit: I know nothing about kaywoodies. Just thought the pipe was interesting so started to look around. Good luck bro

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
SPC had circa 40s for this one, and the pair which were featured on the pipes revival blog with similar nomenclature were 40-50s.

Edit: I know nothing about kaywoodies. Just thought the pipe was interesting so started to look around. Good luck bro

Thanks, Ahi Ka!

Reactions: Ahi Ka

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I can't get crash's @ to work for me. Does he show up for anyone else? It's been a while since he's been on, but I know we didn't lose him in the switch.

Reactions: crashthegrey

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I have the 1947 catalogue and see them there... not exactly this shape, but close. However, as you point out - this one has a stinger that puts it 1950s or later. I can not seem to find a 1950s or 1960s catalogue.

Reactions: mso489

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Sorry I have been so busy and not around lately. Business is crazy. These were made from 1946 to 1955 when briar shortages from the war made clean briar harder to get. I recently got Bill to start making them again and they sell out instantly with the rage around Custombilt and the like. I hope I am not too late to help you make a decision, because the answer is to grab it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Solved! Just as a footnote, a similar stinger and screw-in stem attachment was used in the regular factory run Drinkless series that was only discontinued a few years ago. I have a Ruff-Tone of that design, and the stinger is quick and easy to clean. The Drinkless series is still sold, but with push-bits. That's a fine looking pipe, clearly unsmoked in the photo.

The bit on my Drinkless was akimbo, but sable' told me to heat the shank with a hair dryer until the glue softened and set it right, which I easily did. It's a good smoker, and the finish has improved from a rather dull matte brown gray to a shinier stain with reddish undertones, just from smoking and handling it.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Solved! Just as a footnote, a similar stinger and screw-in stem attachment was used in the regular factory run Drinkless series that was only discontinued a few years ago. I have a Ruff-Tone of that design, and the stinger is quick and easy to clean. The Drinkless series is still sold, but with push-bits. That's a fine looking pipe, clearly unsmoked in the photo.

The bit on my Drinkless was akimbo, but sable' told me to heat the shank with a hair dryer until the glue softened and set it right, which I easily did. It's a good smoker, and the finish has improved from a rather dull matte brown gray to a shinier stain with reddish undertones, just from smoking and handling it.

That sounds like a fine pipe. I have recently acquired a very old Drinkless that I will try out soon. And, I purchased yet another Oversized (1940s I think) from a different seller.

Reactions: edger and Ahi Ka