PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hoping for best luck for you in finding work. You might want to widen your search to see what employment related to your expertise is less prone to boom and bust. It sounds like you have a lot of hard-won knowledge and knowhow that could be applied.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Sable, you are correct. All project based and here in my neck of the woods every major EPCM company managing projects crashed and burned huge.

I'm doing any thing and everything. I started a small, motorcycle tire change business in April and it is doing OK, just needs more clientele. But it is coming. Word of mouth is the best marketing and I managed to procure a small office painting job. Here a little, there a little and like I said above my motto is

Adapt, Improvise, Overcome.
Old Japanese proverb: Fall down seven times get up eight.
Again, and I see it here time and again, the kind words and simple words of encouragement go a long way.
OK, Ok, where's the Kleenex box! Sniff... HA HA! :puffpipe:

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Good Luck on the search Chris. Alberta is a very tough market right now. My company just went through the process of hiring a new scheduler (entry level position) for our overhead door business, and we had people applying with Masters in Engineering degrees. With all the layoffs happening in the oil field / industry, the market has been flooded with employee's, unfortunately, there is limited employment opportunities for them.
It is a tough time. Hang in there!

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I took a job at UPS because I couldnt find work in my field. I have a Master's degree. I've been loading trucks for the longest 11 months of my life. Picking up per diem work, going back to school, and officiating hockey games. I start my new job in Aug. My pipes have been keeping me sane for a long time now.
Good luck to you. Keep your options open. Maybe find some way to volunteer a little bit and something good will come your way if you work at it. Luck is when opportunity meets preparation. I updated and tweaked my resume every few weeks. Found some advice on interviewing.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
Keep your head up Chris. Do what you can to find a new job and then sit back, relax and smoke a bowl. A change is gonna come.
I share with you one of my favourite quotes in hopes you may find in it some insight.
"In other words, change--and everything is change; nothing can be held on to--to the degree that you go with a stream, you see, you are are still, you are flowing with it. But to the degree you resist the stream, then you notice that the current is rushing past you and fighting you. So swim with it, go with it, and you're there. You're at rest."

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thank you Atskywalker,

I am attempting to do just that. Quietly enjoying a bowl after sunset is especially helpful.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Murf,

Great on the new job in August!

I know what you mean. I'm applying everywhere I can and air dropping resumes all over.

Keep on keeping on.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
Keep your chin up and hang in there, I've been there a few times and it sucks. I finally got sick of losing my job every time there was a downturn in the economy and started a small business.

bullethead

Lurker
Jun 20, 2015
hey man I feel ya. I'm consistently paranoid about changes like that.
Hang in there, also I'll have a pipe for ya. The pipe helps with the stress, I'm a lot calmer and less worried nowadays after getting into pipe tobacco and cigars recently.
Look at the bright side it is an excuse to get some good rest, and sleep late. You should check out linkedin.com if you haven't already, that is a great web site a lot of openings all over the world get sent to you from whatever you put in your resume and experience with the keywords about what you are good at. Not sure if you know about that site or not, but it is good for anyone who doesn't know about it and are looking for something to do. Basically a facebook for jobs and networking with people who you've done business with.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
Sympathies for your situation. Been there, done that.
In my experience, when a door closes, no matter how dark it may seem, another will open. Usually you will find a lighted path that will put you in a better situation, eventually. Keep the faith, and prevail. There is solace in the briar, and in the comaraderie that we share.
Hand in there, Brother!

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I wanted to post an update.

My wife and I have had numerous conversations over the past month and have done a lot of number crunching.

After going over the numbers we have come to the joint decision that I am going to officially retire. My wife is blessed with a very, very good career and will continue to work until such time that she decides she wishes to also retire.
We have a modest investment portfolio (by modest I mean sufficient for our lifestyle, not grandiose) and with the few small business ventures that I and my children have started, we have decided that the situation gives us the ability to sustain and live comfortably with the decision to retire from career life.

Life goes on. What is important is family, our good friends and knowing that life is what we make it and the realization that the only time that we really have, is the present and to enjoy each and every day and moment we have to the fullest.

My rather simplistic belief is, "it isn't what we take from life that makes us rich but rather what we are able to give back to life that enriches our lives." I've tried to live by that principle all my life and have tried to instill that into our children. My gratitude to the good people here on this forum who have expressed good wishes to me.

Sincerely

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
shikano53, congratulations on your hard-won decision. It sounds like you have a good plan and a way forward. It's an old joke but a true one, that once you retire you can't figure out how you ever had time to work. My poor lonely retirement rocking chair gets very little warmth from my rear end.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Shikano, I know you must be facing the thought of retirement with uneasiness--I've been there, for health reasons--but I've known many who retire early and do well. Bless you, best of luck to you and your wife, and I look forward to seeing your postings here.

Status
Not open for further replies.