PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Good vids. I’ve been dabbling in a few Dark Fired Kentucky blends lately. So far, not loving them. It’s definitely an acquired taste… for me. Going to revisit them again down the road.

Reactions: dctune

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jeeze, what all I don't know. I thought dark fired was processed burley, not a different strain of tobacco, so I learned that.

I knew that benzopyrene is a product of most burning, but i didn't know it was intentionally reduced in curing tobacco. All the steps and labor, it's surprising it can be sold at the prices it is. Highly informative videos. Thank you for those.

I'm glad dark fired has been taken up as an alternative or addition to Latakia and Perique, which seem to be default condiments in many blends, and somewhat over-used -- love them though I do.

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
Jeeze, what all I don't know. I thought dark fired was processed burley, not a different strain of tobacco, so I learned that.

I knew that benzopyrene is a product of most burning, but i didn't know it was intentionally reduced in curing tobacco. All the steps and labor, it's surprising it can be sold at the prices it is. Highly informative videos. Thank you for those.

I'm glad dark fired has been taken up as an alternative or addition to Latakia and Perique, which seem to be default condiments in many blends, and somewhat over-used -- love them though I do.
I also thought it was just processed Kentucky burley.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many blends include dark-fired these days. An early adaptor, relatively, and a successful one was Russ Ouellette and his Fire Storm, which is a Va/Per with dark-fired as a condiment. I feel like he studied the proportions on that blend for a long time and tuned it to perfection.

Reactions: dctune

wayoutwest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2016
KY
I love these videos. I've watched them many times. I think it's interesting to note that the agronomists depicted in these videos, and the video production themselves, are financed by the tobacco court cases of the late 1990s.

I showed these videos to my father who grew up in the Kentucky foothills of Appalachia in the 1950s and 1960s. He helped his father grow air cured burley, but had never heard of dark fired Kentucky. I found that very interesting. He was never involved in the sale of tobacco, just the cultivation and curing. But still, interesting to me that two distinct regional varieties could exist seemingly independent of each other.