Dark Birdseye and Kendal Kentucky - Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Dark Birdseye has now arrived and am trialling a bowl in a bent Falcon...first impressions are a stunningly flavoured tobacco that seems to burn all too quickly.
So pleased I went for this one, early days I know but am sure this will be a winner with me so hats off to Beastinview :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Yes Hawky how very true. However I just had a large bowlful and thought the flavour bittered very much towards the end. That said, I will definitely be buying this again.
Regards,
Jay.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Jay, I was having that same problem you're describing but if you smoke very careful and do shallow sips, it will remain tasty all the way to the bottom of the bowl.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
So glad to hear you liked it! I do scoop off the top ash halfway through the bowl, and that might help with bitter taste.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I too scrape off the ash come mid bowl but to ease relights and not to prevent bitterness. I can't see how an accumulation of ash does that, it is only ash afterall and ash has no taste at all.
Regards,
Jay.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
My mistake; I hadn't experienced the bitter taste and I wasn't sure if the ash could be the cause. I'll have to look out for it next time around. Though I do enjoy reviewing blends, I certainly don't claim to have a very discerning palate! I actually think my taste and smell isn't so sensitive, since I tend to go for the more robust and flavorful blends.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Hmmm maybe its just me but when I dump my ash it definitely tastes different to me..

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Hmmm maybe its just me but when I dump my ash it definitely tastes different to me.."
Ilstone that is because by dumping ash you are enabling more air to get to the burn and consequently the tobacco burns as it is designed to.
Simply put, too much ash can restrict the burn from reaching the temperatures required for the release of the esters that contain the flavours.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I have now had Kendal kentucky and with hand on heart, I reckon in a blind tasting could not tell Dark Birdseye from Kendal Kentucky!
Both splendid blends by the way :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.