PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Same as their bent filter bits with a touch more style basically. Little smoother bend.
Forever Stems from Vermont Freehand in acrylic are what most do as an upgrade.
Me-I’m gonna order a couple of the MM Danish bits when my standard ones wear out-I actually prefer MM’s soft-ish plastic bits to acrylic.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
When still buying MM pipes I always replaced the stems with the Danish ones. The draw on Forever stems is just to restricted for me.

Reactions: anotherbob

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
Yes, a much much nicer set up with these stems. The only thing is Aristicob no longer is a source and that is where I bought them. Tried another vendor but they were not the same.

BriarsAndBottles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
Pardon the hijack, but hearing you guys talk about upgrading cob stems makes me think they aren’t as temporary as I thought. How long are they designed - or I guess do they usually last - for?

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Pardon the hijack, but hearing you guys talk about upgrading cob stems makes me think they aren’t as temporary as I thought. How long are they designed - or I guess do they usually last - for?
In my limited experience, the black standard acrylic MM stems seem reasonably sturdy and they are stupid easy to clean. I use a rubber bit on mine and don't chomp on them.

Today's delivery will have a MM Diplomat which has one of the Danish bits. I will report back on that compared to the standard.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
I’ve had Danish Bits last for years. I’ve only swapped them out because they are so cheap. But i’ve never had one crack all the way through. I don’t see a need for a $20 stem on a corn cob unless it already comes with one.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I’ve got 3 forever stems on my three cobs and to be honest, I don't love them. They’ve got some of the chunkiest bits of any I’ve ever owned. I’m going to try and file them down and see if that makes them more enjoyable.

Reactions: Piping Abe

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Yeah, other than the looks, I can’t say I prefer Forever stems. They’re a bit glassy. How concerned with looks should I be with a $10 pipe? And no, I’m not bragging that I often smoke ultra “cheap” pipes, or claim to be a value guru, I just like the way they smoke. My Castellos are a close second, once they got broken in.

Reactions: Browny

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My Forever stems go back to the previous management of the Forever stems outfit. At that time, you could request the stems be cut to any length, so I had some standard length and one left long, an orange swirl stem for a Patriot bowl.

I seem to chew through the soft standard stems faster than most people, and I got tired of replacing them, so I opted for acrylic stems.

In recent years, I have ordered only special addition MM cobs that come with acrylic stems, which cost out less than Forever stems when you consider shipping.

Since I have quite a few pipes, my MM cobs last as long as my briars so far, so I treat them as "permanent party," as the assigned crew of warships used to be called (and may still be as far as I know). That distinguished us from temporary technicians and contractors that were occasionally sent aboard, not to mention foreign nationals like officers in the South Vietnamese Navy.

I would joke, we were permanent, but it weren't no party.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I had one with a Danish bit for over 20 years.

WhiteCrown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2023
Pac NW, USA
I have a couple Danish bits, and found I like the regular ones better, but only slightly. The tip is a little bigger on the Danish ones. Other than that it's mostly aesthetics, they smoke exactly the same. For two bucks each it's worth a shot, you might love them like most folks.

I have not tried the forever stems, I like the narrower bit too much.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
So, to answer this question: the Danish bits are made from the exact same material as the standard bits, they only vary in style. The mouth end of the bit flares out like a fishtail, and works perfectly with a rubber pipe bit, with no gaps. The bent ones even add a nice touch to a straight stem like the Country Gent.