PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Found myself reaching for VA this morning. So far, most of what I have collected are English. Now I have to get more VA and VA/Per. Hope my taste for English hasn't left me yet.
It may, or it may lessen. I used to favor heavy lat blends for years, now I prefer Virginia/Orientals, Aromatics, and Balkans with just a whisper of latakia.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
You may very well stray from the English blends. I used to be all English all the time. Now, I'm VaPer, Virginia, Burley and rarely delve into my English. puffy

Reactions: bullet08

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
The English didn’t lose their Empire until they became enamored with Latakia blends, and found they could focus on little else.

I’m quite sure though that The City of London, which isn’t necessary the city of London, were Va/Per smokers. Jump down that rabbit hole, ye minds of the wonderers!

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I’m in the same boat, one year in. I like it when I can smoke a pipe and not have my sinuses still filled with Latakia aftertaste 12 hours later.

It may end up being like whisky. Islay whiskies only occasionally, while the usual is a Speyside, Campbeltown, or Orkney.

Reactions: bullet08 and 3rdguy

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
My favorite type of tobacco by far are VaPers followed by straight virginias, followed by VaBur blends and down on the list is latakia blends. While I enjoy latakia, I only like to smoke it occasionally and then only during the cooler winter months. During winter, I may smoke a bowl or two per week of latakia blends. Having said that, I have a well stocked supply of latakia blends in my cellar, enough to last me many, many years. I have several tins of Dunhill Nightcap, My Mixture 965 and several GL Pease latakia blends that have at least 15 years of age, some approaching 20 years. I only wished I enjoyed them more. I'm afraid at the rate I'm going, those old tins are going to sit in the cellar too long and start losing their potency. Oh well, I guess that's what they call an executive problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.