PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cygnusx1

Lurker
Aug 31, 2009
Ok, so being the adventurous type, I recently bought some Dan tobacco. I got the black velvet and the vanilla honeydew. Anybody had any experience with any of their products?

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
I'm a regular customer at Dan Pipe. Just happy doing business with them.

buzkirk

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Another Dan Tobacco fan here !

The Sweet Vanilla Honeydew is my go to smoke, absolutely Luv the stuff.

Da Vinci is another good one along with Milonga, Devils Holiday and Hamborger Veermaster if you can get it.
Tom

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've only smoked Limerick, Tordenskjold, Mellow Mallard, and Hamborger Veermaster (Hamburger Beermaster :lol: )

They have all been pretty good -- worth repeating, IMO. Well, maybe not so much Mallard -- but it's still a good one-timer.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Never had them, but they always seem to be sold out every time I try to order. So there must be something to that!?

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Haven't had the Black Velvet but I really like the Sweet Vanilla Honeydew.

I also think Milonga is terrific & Blue Note is another great tasting sweet aromatic.

All three have mainly a Virginia base and I think the VA's come through quite well.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I have bought tins of Hamborger Vermeister, which is from Dan Tobacco, through an American online company. Dan Tobacco is very reputable and offers tobaccos for all tastes.

nobail

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2011
Oregon
I have Hamborger Veermaster and smoke Dan's Blue Note for dessert. Most of the HV is in cellar mode so I don't regularly smoke it.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I've not smoked anything by Dan Tobacco other than Hamborger Veermaster so I can't speak for most of their tobacco. I will say, however, that Hamborger Veermaster is one of the most perfect straight bright Va flakes I have ever had the pleasure of consuming. It never seems to be available though and my stash is gone. I long for the days when I can smoke it again.

Jul 15, 2011
Here is a breakdown of Dan tobacco tins in my cellar:
2 Tordenskjold Virginia Slices approaching 15 years old
3 Hamborger Veermaster
1 Old Ironsides
1 Bill Baileys Balkan Blend
1 Patriot Flake
1 Mellow Mallard
The only one I have tried is the Hamborger Veermaster and I love it. I am going to let the VA blends age some more and am saving the latakia smokes for the winter time. It is my belief that you cant really go wrong with anything in the Dan Tobacco line up and are sure to find something to fit your tastes, be it aromatic, VA, Vaper, Burley, or English.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
I have a few pounds of Treasures of Ireland - Limerick in my cellar. It's good stuff. I also keep a tin or two of DaVinci around and smoke it on occasion. It's a very good aromatic with very high quality tobacco that burns well and tastes like it smells but not too heavily flavored. You can still taste the tobacco. Good stuff. I have Hamborger Veermaester (sp?) and my experience has been similar rothnh's but I suspect it will age very well so I have a few tins cellared.

jeff394

Lurker
Mar 7, 2013
I've only smoked Midnight Ride and Hamborger Veermaster. Midnight Ride was a little spicy for my taste, but has the best tin art of any tobacco I've ever seen. HV is a well-balanced VA.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I think Dan produces two of the best English blends on the market: Gordon Pym and London Blend #1000. For me, London Blend #1000 is a perfect all-day English, and it's the standard English by which I judge all others. (No offense, Dunhill.) Gordon Pym is a heavier, richer blend, with a touch of Syrian latakia. Probably not an all-day English, unless you really favor very meaty English blends, but well worth trying.
Bob

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Hamborger Veermaster is one of the flakes I cut my teeth on back in 2001. I love the stuff and still have 2 tins left from that time. I ordered a pound of it a few months ago when it finally came back in stock and like roth was not that pleased. The flavor was a little grassy and the pound it self was full of broken flakes and a ton of shake. I decided to just buy tins and grabbed 35 of those to put away for a long time. With a decade the tobacco turns jet black and it is sublime. I am hoping the new tins I bought age like my old ones.
I have a tin of Tordenskjold and I have smoked half a dozen bowls from it and I find it to be too mild with not a ton of flavor. I put it away and will revisit once it hits a year old.
Dan tobacco has been around a long time and make a number of very popular blends. Like many companies in Europe, they have difficulty supplying demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.