PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Older thread, but I'll chime in. I read once that Trever Talbert liked old ironsides. Likend it to a chocolate ice cream or something like that. And he liked1792 for as well. Completely different tobacco tribe.

I like his pipes, in fact that's one of his in my avatar. So I tried his tobacco suggestions and liked them both. Loved them.

But enuf about that...old ironsides is one I do stash but don't smoke often. Not sure why..maybe it's a bit scarce so I ration. It's very very good, to me. Very full of flavor....and that's kinda it. As I recall fewer nuances than 965 (which I like quite a bit), and less everything than GLP Quiet Nights (plenty good said on that blend).

And that's what makes OI unique (to me). It's rich, full of flavor, easy to smoke, no bite (obviously) and that's it.

Now why a fav? Dunno. Something about the blend say's to me...they nailed this one completely. Didn't guild the lilly. Left well enough alone.

So, there you go on Old Ironsides. One...two....or even a few dimensions maybe, but very very well done and nice ones...and that's it.

Late at night (early in the morning!) here in the northeast...hope this made some sense. Cheers.

Reactions: mingc and karam

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
With regard to Latakia blends, I might stop at Old Ironsides, I frankly do not find tremendous differences between most Lat blends so it becomes what clicks with me, what is available (nothing in Greece!), affordable, and fuss-free.

In fact I may carry this attitude to all blends types instead of searching and trying. Less may really be more.

Replying to my own thread. Still holds up to an extent, but lately I've been on a HU Zulu bender and I find each and every bowl utterly sublime. On Friday I took out a bowl's worth pinch of Zulu but didn't get to smoke it until today - it is smokable from the tin, but fairly moist - it was still reasonably moist as I'd kept it in an old snus tin but it was incredible, almost incense sweet at times, savoury like curry, the smokiness was subdued and even some freshness popping up here and there. It makes me wonder if that's a "Balkan" blend rather than an "English" blend.

On point though, Old Ironsides won me for consistency, simplicity and strength of flavour.

Reactions: ram74 and mingc
Status
Not open for further replies.