Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
It's been a while since I wrote a full review here though I have tried over 15 blends these past 3-4 months. It's also been a while since I last smoked a Lat blends as my two last experienced were unpleasant (Mississippi Mud and GLP Gaslight), with Lat dominating everything, so I gave it a rest until I actually started missing this taste.

I've been hovering over Old Ironsides from very early on as I was looking for a Latakia flake but there were two things holding me back: a) it is often mentioned as Lat-bomb and b) it is never called sweet, rather it's supposed to be very dry.

In any case there's little harm in trying out new things in pipe smoking so I added it to my last Estervals order (along with MacBaren's HH Latakia Flake which I'd expect to be a sweet tobacco given MacB's signature maple topping). So let's see, this tobacco is not mentioned here a lot so I thought to give it some space.

Opening the tin reminded me of Nightcap - which was the only thing I smoked in my first two years of pipe smoking - just a tad lighter. This is probably due to flakes having a smaller surface area than ribbon cut because it has quite a full taste.

The taste is initially strong Latakia, a bit soapy, smoky, backed up by the sour notes of the Orientals, no sweetness at all to be found here. The taste really stays consistent throughout the bowl, with the soapiness trailing off past the half way point, and the Latakia chasing around the Orientals for dominance. A single folded and stuffed flake burned down to white ash after a LONG and cool smoke. What impressed me is that the flavours that come through are clean and distinct. It is listed as also having Kentucky and Virginia, I detected neither but that's probably on me, not the tobacco.

Overall I really enjoyed it and would even call it a flake version of Nightcap, I could easily put it up there with Nightcap as a prototypical English blend, although it is not in origin (it is German), or recipe (has Kentucky). For me this is not a Lat bomb, it is a keeper.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I liked the pouch I tried. Cool and thick smoke, which was main attraction for me about this blend. I noticed the Kentucky coming through about 1/3 in, after the initial lat smokiness mellows out. I'm surprised you don't think of this is a lat bomb as I thought it was a lat slap in the face.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I'm surprised you don't think of this is a lat bomb as I thought it was a lat slap in the face.

Eh, hard to say, what is a lat bomb? For me it'd be Gaslight, I tasted exactly nothing other than LatakiaKatakana, leather and ammonia, whereas this has somehow clearer distinctions between each leaf, don't know how else to describe it.

Reactions: mingc

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
Great review!

It's been a while since I wrote a full review here though I have tried over 15 blends these past 3-4 months. It's also been a while since I last smoked a Lat blends as my two last experienced were unpleasant (Mississippi Mud and GLP Gaslight), with Lat dominating everything, so I gave it a rest until I actually started missing this taste.

I've been hovering over Old Ironsides from very early on as I was looking for a Latakia flake but there were two things holding me back: a) it is often mentioned as Lat-bomb and b) it is never called sweet, rather it's supposed to be very dry.

In any case there's little harm in trying out new things in pipe smoking so I added it to my last Estervals order (along with MacBaren's HH Latakia Flake which I'd expect to be a sweet tobacco given MacB's signature maple topping). So let's see, this tobacco is not mentioned here a lot so I thought to give it some space.

Opening the tin reminded me of Nightcap - which was the only thing I smoked in my first two years of pipe smoking - just a tad lighter. This is probably due to flakes having a smaller surface area than ribbon cut because it has quite a full taste.

The taste is initially strong Latakia, a bit soapy, smoky, backed up by the sour notes of the Orientals, no sweetness at all to be found here. The taste really stays consistent throughout the bowl, with the soapiness trailing off past the half way point, and the Latakia chasing around the Orientals for dominance. A single folded and stuffed flake burned down to white ash after a LONG and cool smoke. What impressed me is that the flavours that come through are clean and distinct. It is listed as also having Kentucky and Virginia, I detected neither but that's probably on me, not the tobacco.

Overall I really enjoyed it and would even call it a flake version of Nightcap, I could easily put it up there with Nightcap as a prototypical English blend, although it is not in origin (it is German), or recipe (has Kentucky). For me this is not a Lat bomb, it is a keeper.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Great Review. I never thought of it that way, but it is like a flake version of Nightcap. Probably why I like it so much.

With regard to Latakia blends, I might stop at Old Ironsides, I frankly do not find tremendous differences between most Lat blends so it becomes what clicks with me, what is available (nothing in Greece!), affordable, and fuss-free.

In fact I may carry this attitude to all blends types instead of searching and trying. Less may really be more.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
From the Latakia-philes that I trust, Old Ironsides is at the top of the bunch along with Penzance, Nightcap, Artisans Blend, and Quiet Nights.

I've yet to pop the Ironsides tin I just bought - I want to let it age at least a year.

Thanks for the review you've given me another one to look forward to.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
The lack of sweetness is what defines OI to me, besides the latakia. I'd like it better if it has some sweet to it. I wish I had the blending skills to know what to add to get sweetness, as I have a few unopened tins in my stash!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
In general, when it comes to German made blends, I am not a huge fan of DTM tobaccos because they mostly lack the complexity and maturity in blending provided by HU and, in comparison, come across rather flat and one-dimensional.

But no rule without exception, and that is the American History series. I love the Independence and the Patriot Flake, and the Old Ironsides also comes close (I have never tried the Midnight Ride). They are real allday smokes that never get boring.

Reactions: JOHN72 and mingc
Status
Not open for further replies.