PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I was once ridiculed ON THIS FORUM for wanting to trade/buy D&R blends - new times we're living in
? You’ve been a member here for close to a year and a half. Within the last couple of years, the D&R blends have been getting a lot of love on this forum. Who is ridiculing you for wanting to buy/trade D&R blends? I don’t see much, if any hate for D&R blends in these parts.

Reactions: jpberg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I was once ridiculed ON THIS FORUM for wanting to trade/buy D&R blends - new times we're living in
Yep
Who is ridiculing you for wanting to buy/trade D&R blends? I don’t see much, if any hate for D&R blends in these parts.
I remember it. Condemnation of D&R for being little more than RYO and to smoke "real" tobacco.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I will be visiting 2 B&Ms in Boston on Tuesday. Will grab a few of each if they have them. I do not think it likely. If you have found another source by then, I will keep them in my cellar.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
? You’ve been a member here for close to a year and a half. Within the last couple of years, the D&R blends have been getting a lot of love on this forum. Who is ridiculing you for wanting to buy/trade D&R blends? I don’t see much, if any hate for D&R blends in these parts.
To clarify, since you asked, it was because at the time the blends were available by the pounds - I was looking for some with a little age on it

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Missed the boat on these and never tried them. At my rate of smoking, I'm only looking for 1 or 2 tins of each.
If anybody has a beat on where they can still be found, I'd love a message. I won't buy out all your b&m's stock :)
I've not had the pleasure of trying D&R tobaccos except one; Windsail Virginia.

In fact it was the very first pound of tobacco that I ordered when I discovered on-line tobacconists.

Windsail is a rather nice straight Virginia that's a very good mixer.

One thing that I really appreciated was that it was on the dry side. [I mainly mixed the Windsail with moist, too sweet aro's that produced a very good smoke that lit easily]
I read somewhere [probably here] that the blender said, when questioned on the matter, that he was in the business of selling tobacco, not water.

What a refreshing philosophy. Tobacco is extremely expensive here so I resent having to dry out blends before they'll light satisfactorily.

I'm no connoisseur but I know what I like. AFAIC, Windsail is a decent straight Virginia and an excellent mixer that I would not hesitate to recommend.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I thought D&R blends were roll your own at first too. But by the third bowl I ever tried, I was hooked.
They actually did start out as a RYO company at first. But they quickly proved worthy amongst pipe smokers when they decided to make pipe tobacco blends.

73E38189-67D1-460C-9108-9EF0E378CD5F.jpeg
I’m just going off of what I’ve read and heard, I have no first hand knowledge regarding this company. I’ve personally never had any of their blends but I know a lot of folks love em. It’s sad to hear a lot of their blends got the axe... I did want to try London Dock one of these days but, oh well, most average men, such as myself, can’t get to em all, for I am just a mere mortal.

Reactions: chopper

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Does anyone just keep unopened pound bags, in their bags untill opened?

I keep buying pounds, but the jars take up so much space.....but I'm thinking that I smoke it fast enough, that they will be fine in the bags for some time. It's already very dry as well so I'm not worried about that, or the aging aspect.

What about the company themselves? How long do they keep the bags, untill they go " bad"? Indefinitely?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Does anyone just keep unopened pound bags, in their bags untill opened?

I keep buying pounds, but the jars take up so much space.....but I'm thinking that I smoke it fast enough, that they will be fine in the bags for some time. It's already very dry as well so I'm not worried about that, or the aging aspect.

What about the company themselves? How long do they keep the bags, untill they go " bad"? Indefinitely?
Mark Ryan told me that the bags will hold up for at least a couple of years or so. I've been smoking AP Rimboche out of a five year old bag. It's very dry, but it still has all its flavor, and didn't turn to dust. I wonder this is just plain good luck? Anyway, you may trying buying one pound mylars, and playing it safe. The tobacco will age in mylars once you vacuum seal them, and it'll be cheaper than buying jars. They won't benefit from aging much by leaving them in the D&R bags.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Mark Ryan told me that the bags will hold up for at least a couple of years or so. I've been smoking AP Rimboche out of a five year old bag. It's very dry, but it still has all its flavor, and didn't turn to dust. I wonder this is just plain good luck? Anyway, you may trying buying one pound mylars, and playing it safe. The tobacco will age in mylars once you vacuum seal them, and it'll be cheaper than buying jars. They won't benefit from aging much by leaving them in the D&R bags.
Perfect. I appreciate the advice. And I was thinking about getting a vaccum sealer ....

Status
Not open for further replies.