PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
I had heard that there are no new crops of Cyrian Latakia being grown. Is this the case? If so, are there any details somewhere?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I had heard that there are no new crops of Cyrian Latakia being grown. Is this the case? If so, are there any details somewhere?
There's no new crops of Syrian Latakia and haven't been for well over a decade. The processing of it was considered way too polluting for it continuing.
I believe that Cyprian Latakia is still being produced, though I've seen stories which say that it's production has been halted for the smae reason that Syrian was halted, and that some other country is now engaged in production. Beats me.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
A lot of the English blends and some Balkans I smoke still advertise that they contain Cyprian Latakia, I'm UK based so all my tobaccos are sourced here.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
There's no new crops of Syrian Latakia and haven't been for well over a decade. The processing of it was considered way too polluting for it continuing.
I believe that Cyprian Latakia is still being produced, though I've seen stories which say that it's production has been halted for the smae reason that Syrian was halted, and that some other country is now engaged in production. Beats me.
Few countries that I can think of that really don't care about the air pollution.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Few countries that I can think of that really don't care about the air pollution.
Yeah why would Syria care. Biological weapons and depleted uranium and just war in general are fine, but can’t cure tobacco. I’d imagine it’s not the environmental damage but instability itself that led to its discontinuation there. Had not heard that Cyprus is stopping, interested to hear where the industry shifts to.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I read it could be true, could be a rumour, something else to cellar now, maybe that’s the point to create a panic buy…. I went aros, better aros, English for years, Virginia Flakes, Virginia aro Flakes, now I basically enjoy/need all in my rotation. I’ve enjoyed the Lat from Cypress as much as Syria, although haven’t smoked them at the same time to fully know. Already planning a buy of English this fall anyhow, on top of what I have…

Reactions: KruegerFlap

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
a lil birdy told me Turkey is a new Latakia resource and we have already been smoking it ,,,so there's that.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If I remember correctly, Syrian Latakia has not been produced since 1997. Restrictions were placed on the harvesting of the plant used to cure it. There was a large warehouse of it here in the States that was destroyed in a fire in 2003. MacBaren and McClelland had their own stocks, so they continued blending with Syrian after that date. Those stocks are long gone.

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
Well, you, know it is hard to get info out of Syria these days. Like you I enjoy Cyprian latakia and have some Westminster that I have a certain amount of. Unlike you I don't really enjoy Syrian latakia.
Westminster has been my go-to blend for over a decade at this point. I have pounds of it stashed away and yet I never think I have enough...

Reactions: kcghost

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
If I remember correctly, Syrian Latakia has not been produced since 1997. Restrictions were placed on the harvesting of the plant used to cure it. There was a large warehouse of it here in the States that was destroyed in a fire in 2003. MacBaren and McClelland had their own stocks, so they continued blending with Syrian after that date. Those stocks are long gone.
Yeah, that's the story as I know it. I still have a couple tins of HH Vintage Syrian. That was a good blend. I was concerned there was a similar fate of Cyprian on the horizon.