PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I prefer the lines running through the shank to the bit on number two, and the forward cant on the bowl. But for some reason I keep coming back to look at number one, I’m not sure why but it gets my vote.

Reactions: alaskanpiper
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
While I love when mammoth gets used in smoking gear, the egg shape of the first pipe feels off putting—it doesn't feel enough like a cutty and deviates too much from the classic cutty shape—it's an egg and fails because of that. The two feet on the second one is a nice variation on the cutty form, still feels like a cutty, and gets my vote.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Another tough choice but gotta go with #2. Love the craggy blast and horn mount. I have mixed feelings about the "feet", but the other features win out overall.

Reactions: alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Another tough choice but gotta go with #2. Love the craggy blast and horn mount. I have mixed feelings about the "feet", but the other features win out overall.
I have always had mixed feelings about walrus feet. Aesthetically, I have always found them goofy as hell. However, on a more utilitarian shape such as this (rather than the usual danish sweeping egg type you see them on) they are impressively functional. I've come around a bit.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
This is extremely tough.

Normally, the only colored stems I'm into are either old bakelite or white acrylic. Yet this color is a head-turner, and fits the natural briar well. I think I love it without wanting it in my collection. A pleasant piece to oggle on somebody else's shelf, but it would be out of place on my shelf.

I also love the long shank, and the canted egg bowl (even if it isn't a cutty).

But the dark blast, traditional shaping, and horn stem win me over to #2, despite the flippers which I actually sort of hate. It wins for my personal tastes even with the flippers, but it would win more solidly without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.