Culling the Herd: Anyone Else Feel the Need to do So?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
That actually is my rational. LOL The plan is to sell off a handful of pipes that I just don't grab that often, and replace them with 1 or 2 really nice pipes. I'm looking for a Ser Jacopo and a Castello, as I've always wanted a nice briar from these brands.

At one point I had 29 meers, and I just don't need that many. I sold a couple last year, and I figured I'd sell a handful more to let someone else enjoy them and put some color on them.
BTW, I wanted to say thanks. You were one of the first fellas I’d paid attention to (YTPC) regarding the end of McClelland. It afforded me the ability to stock up on some extremely tasty Virginias before the demise. Many thanks! 👍☕

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
BTW, I wanted to say thanks. You were one of the first fellas I’d paid attention to (YTPC) regarding the end of McClelland. It afforded me the ability to stock up on some extremely tasty Virginias before the demise. Many thanks! 👍☕

You're welcome. I caught a lot of flak from other individuals for sharing that information. They were upset because they wanted to hoard as much as possible before the word got out. A few of them haven't talked to me since then. Pretty lame if you ask me, but I guess it just shows their real character. I bought what I could afford at the time, and what I would smoke, while others were stocking up for the sole purpose of just reselling the tobacco on the secondary market to make a profit. That's not my style. To each their own, I guess.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
You're welcome. I caught a lot of flak from other individuals for sharing that information. They were upset because they wanted to hoard as much as possible before the word got out. A few of them haven't talked to me since then. Pretty lame if you ask me, but I guess it just shows their real character. I bought what I could afford at the time, and what I would smoke, while others were stocking up for the sole purpose of just reselling the tobacco on the secondary market to make a profit. That's not my style. To each their own, I guess.
LoL, when I was mining Gold bags & tins, I’d always make folks aware of the location. Once I realized I was opening it up to the flippers & hoarders I stopped the notifications. Can’t stop capitalism I guess. ☕

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
LoL, when I was mining Gold bags & tins, I’d always make folks aware of the location. Once I realized I was opening it up to the flippers & hoarders I stopped the notifications. Can’t stop capitalism I guess. ☕

Nope. I totally understand the opportunity to make money, but to be mad at a guy for informing people because it might cut into your "scam," well sorry. It was insane. Some guys were buying 100 tins at a time, just so they could resell for a profit later. While others were just trying to buy a few tins to have and smoke, but then couldn't because the stock was gone. By the time websites were imposing a limit on purchases most of the stock was gone. To me that's a "dick move," but yeah capitalism, I guess.

Gavrin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2021
Idaho
Well, this past year I kept track of how many times I smoked my meerschaum pipes, and with as many has I have it makes it hard to dedicate any real time to any one pipe. The most I smoked any one meerschaum pipe was 27 bowls. It's going to take me forever to color these things. LOL

Currently I have 44 pipes in my collection, and while I like my collection, I clearly don't need that many. Though I don't have as many briar pipes, there are some that just don't get smoked much if at all, and I finally smoke one of my corn cobs for the first time in well over a year. Plus, being a cigar guy, and primarily smoking cigars in the summer months, I neglect my pipes even more.

So, I decided that I'm going to cull the herd a bit and sell off some of my meers that I just don't smoke that much and a couple briars. With having less pipes in the collection, I won't feel as if I'm neglecting them so much. Plus, I can pass them along to someone else who will put good use to them. Over the years ove smoking pipes, PAD has hit hard at times, and I've had to cull the herd before, and I find myself at the point of doing it again. Anyone else find themselves selling off pipes from time to time?

My current collection...

View attachment 279679View attachment 279680
View attachment 279684
View attachment 279685

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I'm actually planning on selling a few myself, and I want to start here on this site, but I've been hesitating because it's hard for me to figure out a good price for each of them and I hate haggling.

Reactions: Leomania and Gavrin