PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmreleaser

Lurker
Mar 8, 2012
I know they are known for cigars, but some friends are flying to Cuba and I wanted to ask them to bring me some cigars and if possible some Tobacco. So is there anything in particular you can advise me? And oh, I have not got a clue about cigars so any advise about that too?

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Not condoning anything illegal, but I'VE HEARD some people buy a box of cheap cigars not made in cuba and switch the bands with Cohibas..... just saying... I dont have any experience with cuban tobacco.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
There is no Cuban pipe tobacco. Soil isn't right for it.

The last Cuban cigar I smoked - while on a short assignment at GM Canada in '08 - was a Montecristo. It's a lovely cigar, but, TBH, I didn't find it to be so much better than a Dominican Monte to be worth the price premium.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
La Escepcion de José Gener Picadura granulada media libra and Hoyo de M Hoyo de

Monterey tobacco pipe tobacco . As for a real cigar Cohiba would be nice but Trinidad would be better .

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I don't claim to know much about cigars but the last time I was in Puerto Rico at a cigar shop I asked about Cubans and the person told me here smoke this Puerto Rican cigar it's just as good. It was an awesome cigar. I think it's just the fact that we can't have them (Cubans)here in the U.S. that makes them so desirable. Again don't listen to me my thing is pipes. :D

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Not geting policital here but under past admins up till 2004 an American could bring back 100 cigars or less personal use from Mexico Canada ect. In fact, the embargo was made even more restrictive in 2004. United States citizens cannot legally acquire or consume Cuban cigars, even while traveling abroad. This may be a law that is impractical to enforce, but it is still the law. There are substantial fines and penalties for violators, who are at a higher risk of being nabbed if they attempt to bring Cuban products (especially in large quantities) into the United States.

kmreleaser

Lurker
Mar 8, 2012
Ok. I am Egyptian and I live in Germany so it's difficult to have problems with US customs :)) plus I am not traveling over, it's a friend of mine. I was more curious about Tobacco pipe, and maybe as a side dish a couple of cigars, So I was not really planing to import a huge quantity. I will still be looking forward to trying a genuine Cuban Cigar.
Thanks for the advices :))

havanarick

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Texas
Why are Cuban cigars good? It's not as if communist economies are known for producing quality goods so why the exception for Cuban cigars? I have a few hypotheses:
Cuban cigars are not that good. The contrary impression is due to remembrances of things past and the sex appeal of the forbidden fruit. (Testable hypothesis: Are Cuban cigars as highly prized in countries where they are not banned?)

The Cuban "terroir," the soil, climate and environment are unique. (Maybe but Communists destroy good terroir - see Zimbabwe, the Ukraine etc. - all the time.)

Castro puts a huge amount of resources and incentives into producing cigars because a) he likes to smoke and b) exporting cigars and doctors is good for the brand image. Cuban cigars are like Soviet chess.
Castro has basically privatized the cigar industry allowing for significant market incentives.

I enjoy a Cuban cigar, I will not go out of my way to get one since better cigars are out there.

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
Coming from lots of experience in this department (humbly said), each person is allowed 50 cigars, generally there are 25 cigars in each box, depending on the brand. Make sure they buy them only at Government run stores. They will ask for the passport and write down the passport info on your receipt for legal export when leaving Cuba. La Casa Del Habana in Veradero is fantastic on 39th or 63rd street. Guaranteed authentic cigars. If they buy from the beach or "family friend", don't waste your money, they will be fakes and usually mixed with Banana leaves. Right now the Partagas Serie D #4 is fantastic, just had one last night. The Montecristo #2 is a classic and is almost always great. Or you can spend more and go for Cohiba Robusto's. There is also the Montecristo Petite Edmundo, great cigar. Hope this helps.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
It's not as if communist economies are known for producing quality goods
Consumer goods. They made some very high quality non-consumer products.
(Testable hypothesis: Are Cuban cigars as highly prized in countries where they are not banned?)
Absolutely. Don't let ideology get in the way of recognizing a fine product. They are still well regarded, everywhere.

Now - are they worth the price premium? That's totally subjective.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
L.J. Peretti has a burley blend called "Cuban Mixture" that is very good, one of the best burleys available. Why don't you give it a try? It's their oldest blend, being in production for over 100 years.
Smokey

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
My opinion, Cuban Tobacco is marvelous. The cigars are great when done properly. They just do not process the tobacco as long as it should be, due to the needs for revenue. No other tobacco compares, imo. I have smoked Cigars for 30 years, and I am convinced that if Padron or Fuente got a hold of cuban tobacco, the cigars would be would be epic.
As far as Pipe Tobacco goes, and last I heard, they still packaged up the cuttings from the cigar making process (picadurra) and press it into one pound cakes. One is definitely labeled "Partagas" and I believe the other is "Hoyo de Monterrey". My buddy in Germany says it is very strong, non humidified, and that it really is not anything like either cigar flavor, or remotely similar to any pipe tobacco.
If you have the legal rights to possess the cigars, I would say that any of their Petite Coronas are their best product.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
You can get better quality cigars from a authorized German retailer that you can at a authorized Cuban shop. Forget about the cigars they find in the tourist marketplaces. 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.