PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Grovius

Might Stick Around
Sep 27, 2020
Tui, Galicia
EDIT : Fixed Capitalization in Title ( See Rule 9 )

Hi there.

Newbie question here. Context: last week, I had a bowl of SG's St. James Flake. After that, I've had 2 bowls of Old Gowrie in the same pipe (a MM Mark Twain cob), and about half of the flavours I am getting are those of St. James Flake. I've searched the forum and see there's quite a lot of different opionions on whether/how much perique ghosts. My question is: as I only had 1 bowl of SJF, how many of, say, a straight Va does it take before the carryover flavours go away?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
It depends but for something not ghosted too hard usually 5 bowls pretty much does the trick for me. I notice the ghosted flavour less in each smoke. Is it sort of dying down or still quite persistent after a few bowls?

Reactions: Grovius

Grovius

Might Stick Around
Sep 27, 2020
Tui, Galicia
cob shouldn't ghost much like that. As crazy as it sounds wipe the bowl out and make sure the stem and mortise are clean. That said ghosts don't really hang out in cobs that much even when they do show up.
That was also my expectation, but I did get like a 70-25 mixture in the first Old Gowrie bowl and 50-50 in the second (and I clean them after every smoke)

Reactions: anotherbob

Grovius

Might Stick Around
Sep 27, 2020
Tui, Galicia
It depends but for something not ghosted too hard usually 5 bowls pretty much does the trick for me. I notice the ghosted flavour less in each smoke. Is it sort of dying down or still quite persistent after a few bowls?
Yes, it went down but it is still noticeable. Seems reasonable it will be gone with a few more then.

Grovius

Might Stick Around
Sep 27, 2020
Tui, Galicia
Cobs are a "soft" material and should soak up tars and such. A bowl or two of another blend should overpower whatever ghosting has occurred.
Not sure if it would even count as "ghosting", as it clearly went down, but it did surprise me (not a single shred of SJF and I was getting that [I guess] perique taste).

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
FWIW, Old Gowrie does indeed contain Perique, but it's not as prominent in the blend as in SJF. For me, I'd probably welcome such a ghost, since I love both of those smokes, and they are similar enough to me that it would be hard to discern other than noticing that the Old Gowrie might be a little more aggressive than normal.

Grovius

Might Stick Around
Sep 27, 2020
Tui, Galicia
FWIW, Old Gowrie does indeed contain Perique, but it's not as prominent in the blend as in SJF. For me, I'd probably welcome such a ghost, since I love both of those smokes, and they are similar enough to me that it would be hard to discern other than noticing that the Old Gowrie might be a little more aggressive than normal.
Sure, it was a nice smoke, sort of like SJF with some edge taken off it, but I would also like to change blends withoug having to go through too many bowls.

Grovius

Might Stick Around
Sep 27, 2020
Tui, Galicia
That is why I use my cobs for the aromatic type blends and my briars for my other tobacco. This way I have no ghosting in my briars which usually have good strong Kentucky's, which seem to overcome the ghost of the perique.
So using Ky as a re-setting tobacco could be a solution here, I guess.

Reactions: 02Knight
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
No question, VaPer blends will slightly ghost a pipe, especially the peppery ones which SJF certainly is. However, OG has some perique in it. I would think there would be much of a ghost in a cob after only a bowl or two.

Grovius

Might Stick Around
Sep 27, 2020
Tui, Galicia
Crossover flavors can also be the mind, playing tricks.
There are several blends I smoke where my mind will conjure up flavors of other similar blends.
In this case I'm pretty positive, although that has happened to me with foods and drinks.