PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Having been binging on G&H since the drop I decided it was a good idea to change it up. I reached for a tin of Cringle Flake 2021. When I bought it last November I like it a lot, but wasn't blown away by it like I was CF 2020. Still, what the heck, why not?

As I recall the tin I had last year, the flavors were very good, though I didn't experience the pungency of matured red Virginia that I had enjoy with the 2020 edition, and there was a bit of a floral note to the 20 yo Virginias used in this edition.

Four months in the tin has really changed this blend. The floralness is gone and the pungent stewed fruit accompanied by the plummy fruitiness of the vintage Perique has exploded. This is a truly great smoke and I only whish I had bought a lot more tins of it. Cringle Flake 2021 has developed great depth of flavor. If you like a matured Red Va/Per you will be hard pressed to improve on this one. If you haven't smoked a tin since last year, do yourself a favor and pop open a tin. It's a whole new day!

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Having been binging on G&H since the drop I decided it was a good idea to change it up. I reached for a tin of Cringle Flake 2021. When I bought it last November I like it a lot, but wasn't blown away by it like I was CF 2020. Still, what the heck, why not?

As I recall the tin I had last year, the flavors were very good, though I didn't experience the pungency of matured red Virginia that I had enjoy with the 2020 edition, and there was a bit of a floral note to the 20 yo Virginias used in this edition.

Four months in the tin has really changed this blend. The floralness is gone and the pungent stewed fruit accompanied by the plummy fruitiness of the vintage Perique has exploded. This is a truly great smoke and I only whish I had bought a lot more tins of it. Cringle Flake 2021 has developed great depth of flavor. If you like a matured Red Va/Per you will be hard pressed to improve on this one. If you haven't smoked a tin since last year, do yourself a favor and pop open a tin. It's a whole new day!

I agree, 2021 Cringle is an absolute masterpiece. I thought 2020 Cringle was amazing, still do, but to my tastes it is much more heavy on the stoved component. That stoved component is there in the 2021 version, just not nearly as dominant and the result strikes me as a good deal more complex. That old perique turned up in a few blends from at least 2 different blenders but 2021 Cringle was the best of them, at least to my taste.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I agree, 2021 Cringle is an absolute masterpiece. I thought 2020 Cringle was amazing, still do, but to my tastes it is much more heavy on the stoved component. That stoved component is there in the 2021 version, just not nearly as dominant and the result strikes me as a good deal more complex. That old perique turned up in a few blends from at least 2 different blenders but 2021 Cringle was the best of them, at least to my taste.
Well put. I disagree with the last point, but that's just a matter of taste. My absolute favorite smoke that used that perique was C and D's XX Flake. A top 5 blend for me. And a one time release like Cringle 2020 and 2021.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston

I only got 5 tins.... sounds like I missed an opportunity not getting more! Have not tried it yet, gifted one. Oh well...

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
I scored a tin as a freebie on a Christmas special from a small retailer last year. I’d never tried any of the CF releases. I brought the tin with me to the mountains of North Carolina on spring break. I’ve had a couple bowls and it is VERY good. I think I like this sort of blend more than I thought I would.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I opened a tin of the 2020 recently and was surprised at how much more the blend had married together compared to the first one I opened upon receipt. I'm still working through the first tin of 2021, but haven't checked in on it in more than a month - need to see how it's coming along. After first taste, I'm glad I went deep on the 2021.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa

Glad I clicked! I tried some when I got it and although I'm not all that experienced, I never gave the tin a second look when choosing something to try after that which isn't the case with many other blends. If Iowa beats Rutgers I'm digging out my Christmas pipe and packing it sort of ala Red Auerbach.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Maybe my reluctance to buy over priced tobacco may have betrayed me on this occasion.
When Jesse and I discussed this on the phone the other night, both of us had reached the same conclusion on the 2021 CF. In my experience, it's the fastest aging VaPer I've ever had. There was no way to know that in advance, and in my case, I had a can of it before the release date.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
Music to my ears Jesse, I bought the 2021 at the last second, hoping for exactly as you posted.

Love the 2020, after trying it from fresh up till now, it's definitely melded and improved, and I'm optimistic it will continue to do so.

Sounds like there's reason to be optimistic about the 2021 aging well too.