PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
Bait and switch sites are the worst. There is one that I came across that said they had esoterica in stock. A disclaimer suggested to call for actual stock levels as they vary with what’s on the site.

Merton

Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I have smoked three bowls. Really enjoyed the first. The next two have been okay but nothing special. I really prefer the 2019 version and have a number left to enjoy. Like the 2021 well enough i guess. Was not especially fond of 2020 version, think 2021 is marginally better. I might crack another tin of 2020 to check. The perique in that iteration was perhaps too much for me. Still love the idea and thank sutliff for doing it. Hope it continues just with less (or zero) perique.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Got mine on Monday, smoked it once since then. Was a little surprised with the amount of vinegar fumes straight out of the tin but after my experience with Sutliff's 515-RC I let it breath a bit and it thankfully seemed to vacate the tobacco for the most part. Unlike the 515, which I assume is just a fairly fresh single variety red VA, this has a lot more going on under that blanket of initial vinegar. It also seemed to change a lot throughout the bowl which was surprising. All in all I'm pretty pleased with it, I've got 3g of it jarred up and it's just been sitting on my desk because I keep going to take a big sniff every now and then ?

I will say I really hope either C&D or Sutliff transitions back to doing a version of these aged red virginia tobaccos without the perique. It's not overpowering in this year's Cringle Flake but I wouldn't mind it's absence, frankly I'd probably prefer it.

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
I have smoked three bowls. Really enjoyed the first. The next two have been okay but nothing special. I really prefer the 2019 version and have a number left to enjoy. Like the 2021 well enough i guess. Was not especially fond of 2020 version, think 2021 is marginally better. I might crack another tin of 2020 to check. The perique in that iteration was perhaps too much for me. Still love the idea and thank sutliff for doing it. Hope it continues just with less (or zero) perique.
MOAR Perique!

I'm actually happy with anything as long as it is good, though it seems like VA / VAper is where they shine.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Bait and switch sites are the worst. There is one that I came across that said they had esoterica in stock. A disclaimer suggested to call for actual stock levels as they vary with what’s on the site.
That's not fair. Small shops that sell in person and online don't have the inventory system that would support that nor could they afford the software or time to manage it. They say call because the exact # of bags in inventory may be wrong. Not sure how that's being dishonest.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma

I adored the 2020 version and feel like it's blended just right. I think that this year's may have been better with less or no perique.

Reactions: Val

isaac

Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
That's not fair. Small shops that sell in person and online don't have the inventory system that would support that nor could they afford the software or time to manage it. They say call because the exact # of bags in inventory may be wrong. Not sure how that's being dishonest.
I’m all for a call for inventory. But, allowing you to purchase something that may not be in stock isn’t right. Just gray out the portion to buy and list that these orders are to be called in.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I’m all for a call for inventory. But, allowing you to purchase something that may not be in stock isn’t right. Just gray out the portion to buy and list that these orders are to be called in.
Just grey it out. Each time they sell a can. Simple as that. Problem solved. lol

Love to know your background in retail since you have such high expectations.

isaac

Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
Just grey it out. Each time they sell a can. Simple as that. Problem solved. lol

Love to know your background in retail since you have such high expectations.
Not trying to be argumentative, but there are plenty of sites that do not give you the option to buy a tobacco, and direct you to call for inventory.

Reactions: briarbuck

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Not trying to be argumentative, but there are plenty of sites that do not give you the option to buy a tobacco, and direct you to call for inventory.
I understand. If you could, keep in mind that it's a brutal environment for retail + the Brick and Mortars have no $$$ to upgrade their systems. So you may be absolutely right, while at the same time contributing to a pipe stores demise.

Just a thought.

isaac

Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
I understand. If you could, keep in mind that it's a brutal environment for retail + the Brick and Mortars have no $$$ to upgrade their systems. So you may be absolutely right, while at the same time contributing to a pipe stores demise.

Just a thought.

case in point BNB tobacco is mentioned in another thread for sending out backordered notifications for Cringle. And in turn multiple members stating they don’t purchase from there anymore for those reason.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

Just a thought.
It's a simple principal that applies to any business. Grow with the market or fall.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
case in point BNB tobacco is mentioned in another thread for sending out backordered notifications for Cringle. And in turn multiple members stating they don’t purchase from there anymore for those reason.
You sort of proved my point in a roundabout kinda way. I have a couple of shops I won't buy from, but I won't throw them under the bus in public on the internet forum either.

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
BNB is also just an online presence and warehouse as far as I can tell, so they should have this figured out. (I found them on google maps and BNB is the same company as Mom's Cigars and is run out of a warehouse with loading docks. It doesn't appear to be a B&M.

Reactions: Chasing Embers