PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

CircleK

Lurker
Apr 24, 2020
Hey everyone, I decided to take y'all's advice and create my own sampler of about 1oz of each blend to figure out what I like and don’t like. I am knew you smoking a pipe so I really want to solidify what my likes are so this is the best way. Here’s a list of what my haul includes. Any suggestions where to start or others to buy once’s I burn my way through some of this.

Orlik Golden Slice
C&D Billy Budd Blonde
C&D Haunted Bookshop
HH Old Dark Fired Ready Rubbed
PS Luxury Bullseye
PS Superior Navy Flake
PS Luxury Twist Flake
Balkan Supreme
H&H Classic Burley cake
PS52 Proper English

Attachments

• ADA02279-2153-47B5-A2E6-3A76FEEEF82C.jpeg
    ADA02279-2153-47B5-A2E6-3A76FEEEF82C.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Spinkle

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Looks great! Now, with the exception of the Golden Slice (although it does have perique in it), if I'm not mistaken, all the rest will have rather deep flavor profiles and even a sort of 'spicey' flavor to them. You may find, as I do, that you might get bored of all that flavor after a while...sounds odd, but I know I do, that's why I don't smoke them anymore. After you finish these, try something straighter along the lines of a straight virginia or burley, even some that are slightly cased virginias like C&D Interlude. You might find it refreshing for lack of a better term. That said, great job and good smoking.

Reactions: CircleK

CircleK

Lurker
Apr 24, 2020
Looks great! Now, with the exception of the Golden Slice (although it does have perique in it), if I'm not mistaken, all the rest will have rather deep flavor profiles and even a sort of 'spicey' flavor to them. You may find, as I do, that you might get bored of all that flavor after a while...sounds odd, but I know I do, that's why I don't smoke them anymore. After you finish these, try something straighter along the lines of a straight virginia or burley, even some that are slightly cased virginias like C&D Interlude. You might find it refreshing for lack of a better term. That said, great job and good smoking.
No that makes perfect sense. Do you have any recommendations?? Always open to learning new things especially from those more knowledgable than myself!

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
No that makes perfect sense. Do you have any recommendations?? Always open to learning new things especially from those more knowledgable than myself!
Here's what I smoke from what I would consider the lightest flavor to the deepest flavor...but none of them are what most would consider bold or deep. They are all pretty much straight tobaccos, and some may have some dark kentucky thrown in.

C&D Bright Va Ribbon
C&D Carolina Red Flake (only available around the latter part of the year)
C&D Burley Flake #2 (a real ball twister in the nicotine dept)
C&D Interlude
Pease Jackknife plug
Low Country Santee (lightly topped with citrusy sort of apple flavor)

CircleK

Lurker
Apr 24, 2020
Here's what I smoke from what I would consider the lightest flavor to the deepest flavor...but none of them are what most would consider bold or deep. They are all pretty much straight tobaccos, and some may have some dark kentucky thrown in.

C&D Bright Va Ribbon
C&D Carolina Red Flake (only available around the latter part of the year)
C&D Burley Flake #2 (a real ball twister in the nicotine dept)
C&D Interlude
Pease Jackknife plug
Low Country Santee (lightly topped with citrusy sort of apple flavor)
Thanks for the suggestions! Ive added them to my list. This may be a dumb question but I dont have more than 3 mason jars, is it ok to keep the tobaccos in the bags and then store a couple of them in a single mason jar or should I plan on buying more jars this weekend??

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Thanks for the suggestions! Ive added them to my list. This may be a dumb question but I dont have more than 3 mason jars, is it ok to keep the tobaccos in the bags and then store a couple of them in a single mason jar or should I plan on buying more jars this weekend??
Definitely buy more Mason jars. Otherwise, some cross contamination will occur over time. A dozen 8 oz jars is typically less than $10.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
ziploc-food-storage-containers-18036-64_1000.jpg
You need to keep your tobacco separated, but if you are purchasing in 2 oz tins, there's really no need for mason jars. I open a tin and dump it into one of these Ziploc Twist n Loc containers, and if I buy more than one tin of the same tobacco I simply keep the remaining tins unopened until I need them. You can get these at any grocery store or box store, they are pretty cheap, stay air tight, and are stackable and far less bulky than mason jars, plus they don't break if you drop one (which I do frequently).

Last edited:

CircleK

Lurker
Apr 24, 2020
View attachment 28808
You need to keep your tobacco separated, but if you are purchasing in 2 oz tins, there's really no need for mason jars. I open a tin and dump it into one of these Ziploc Twist n Loc containers, and if I buy more than one tin of the same tobacco I simply keep the remaining tins unopened until I need them. You can get these at any grocery store or box store, they are pretty cheap, stay air tight, and are stackable and far less bulky than mason jars, plus they don't break if you drop one (which I do frequently).
This seems like it’s a great idea, thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it my friend.

Reactions: stokesdale

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whoa. Maybe it's just me, but I think that is a great selection, but now I'd pause and not add more just now. Rather, try these samples and find your own taste preferences. Don't bury yourself in blends right off the blocks. Get a range on these before you add more to the inventory. That's my reaction. Some would rather go for broke. But this is a lot to smoke and consider.

CircleK

Lurker
Apr 24, 2020
Whoa. Maybe it's just me, but I think that is a great selection, but now I'd pause and not add more just now. Rather, try these samples and find your own taste preferences. Don't bury yourself in blends right off the blocks. Get a range on these before you add more to the inventory. That's my reaction. Some would rather go for broke. But this is a lot to smoke and consider.
Ahh yes my apologies. I fully intend to smoke my way through (or at least most) this selection to help me figure out what I do and dont like before making more purchases. But glad to hear I made some good choices here!

Status
Not open for further replies.