PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
So after I getting more and more into this hobby I thought crafting my own pipe. As my father has a fully equipped small carpentery the tools would be there so what I need now is a good tutorial :D any videos or homepages to visit? It could be a fun father son activity for me and my retired father ;)

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
I've been itching to buy a kit from Vermont Freehand. But I need another hobby like I need a kick in the teeth right now.

If I get my woodshop back in order, I'll probably build a Morta in the fall. My plan is to use VF's resources and yatoob.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Another approach is to fix used pipes to get a feel for what you might do. And read and watch whatever you can find out there.

To work on a kit is only half of the fun. You will never learn correct drilling of the chamber airway and mortise, also making a stem is part of the process.

Reactions: Browny and wernerat

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
Anyone thinking making their own pipe and considering one of the "do it yourself" pipes (see below), be careful. Make sure what you buy is quality briar. The cheap ones are made of poor grade briar and, in my experience, really smoke nasty!!! puffy

View attachment 207326
What makes it nasty? Is it the lack of sap removal? I understand that cheap is cheap but what actually causes/makes briar a bad poor product over another? Would be interested in hearing everyone else’s thoughts and experiences.

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
I've made numerous pipes from pre drilled kits and only one has been iffy . The Molina DIY kits are not bad. And there are many many DIY kits on eBay which consists of a pre drilled block with a stem and all you have to do is finish it off . Some come just as a block . Others as semi finished. Depends how much effort you want to put into it .almost always they are very cheap . Etsy also has numerous pipes carving kits as well

Reactions: canucklehead

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
What makes it nasty? Is it the lack of sap removal? I understand that cheap is cheap but what actually causes/makes briar a bad poor product over another? Would be interested in hearing everyone else’s thoughts and experiences.
I would say yes. The briar is probably uncured and the couple I've tried to smoke were very harsh and bitter from the first puff. Uncured briar is a common problem with a lot of pipes. From smoking them I believe that are a lot of beautiful Danish pipes that are uncured. Many look great but smoke terrible. That's why I don't have a single Danish pipe in my collection. puffy

Reactions: Salvaje and yanoJL

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Hobby block kits give you a taste. The thing is most YouTube videos have other people with other equipment that you don’t have- I didn’t have a lathe! Patience is the key. Walk away when you’re frustrated or stumped. I’ve only carved a dozen or so. But with only a drill press, a clamp, files, and a sanding belt + some hand sanding. No lathe, no band saw… it’s a bit of work. But really rewarding.

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
I would say yes. The briar is probably uncured and the couple I've tried to smoke were very harsh and bitter from the first puff. Uncured briar is a common problem with a lot of pipes. From smoking them I believe that are a lot of beautiful Danish pipes that are uncured. Many look great but smoke terrible. That's why I don't have a single Danish pipe in my collection. puffy
Is there a process to remove the sap even after you have a final pipe? I imagine that you would have to refinish the entire pipe but is it possible? That would play havoc on the mortise and tenon.

Reactions: Browny