PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
I was into my second bowl of Lane Virginia #1 when my pipe got clogged. So like an idiot I pulled the stem out which was a very tight fit, and when i put it back in the briar cracked by the mortise. It still smokes fine, its a $75 La Rocca Baron. Usually stems are tight with a new pipe, and i shouldnt have fooled with it while it was warm. Im afraid the crack will grow, any suggestions? (picture to come) I read about using wood glue but the crack is so tight i dont know how i would get it in there

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
the crack is pretty tight and there are absolutely no suction leaks, so I tried working some elmers glue in the crack with the tip of a pin, and since kids are known to eat it I imagine it is safe non toxic for pipes... Hopefully this solves the problem. I tried taking a few pictures but the crack is so fine you would never see it.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Stuff happens... As long you got enough glue in the crack to allow the the crack to hold permanently, no foul. I would leave the stem out while the glue cures, and wrap something around the cracked area until the glues sets and cures.

I use a carpenter’s pencil to apply graphite to real tight stems so the slide in relatively easy. Sometimes takes a couple applications.

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
I have a Royal Danish that had a hairline crack on the shank. I made a tapered wooden dowel and used it to gently (very, very gently) expand the crack. I used a fine tip extension on my CA glue and got the glue down into the crack. I removed the taper and clamped over night. Using the tip extension I got very little on the outside and cleaned up immediately. The crack is still visible if you look very closely, but I have no intention of selling it and it doesn't bother me. I use the pipe regularly and the repair hasn't shown any signs of failing.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I was into my second bowl of Lane Virginia #1 when my pipe got clogged. So like an idiot I pulled the stem out which was a very tight fit, and when i put it back in the briar cracked by the mortise. It still smokes fine, its a $75 La Rocca Baron. Usually stems are tight with a new pipe, and i shouldnt have fooled with it while it was warm. Im afraid the crack will grow, any suggestions? (picture to come) I read about using wood glue but the crack is so tight i dont know how i would get it in there

Pulling and especially pushing a stem, be it hot or cold, could be the problem. I was shown a long time ago to twist the stem clockwise, both out and in. Never had a problem with splitting/cracking the mortise. (And I don't adhere to the admonition to never remove the stem while hot.)

Do you have photos now?

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
Pierre: Bien fait! That seems like a good way to go. How long has it been holding up?
Merci. It's been a couple months and I use the pipe regularly. I've used CA glue in wood turning projects for years so I'm very confident that I won't have an future problems. I really like it because it will flow into the tiniest of cracks and doesn't seem to expand. The pipe was in pretty bad shape when I received it and it was only a $10 so I didn't have anything to loose by trying. One note on this: use CA sparingly it doesn't take much and as soon as the glue is in remove the taper; CA sets quickly and solidly.

Status
Not open for further replies.