PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

990rick

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2011
I just got a lovely Karl Erik freehand that smokes like a dream, but it has a crack at the tip of the shank and I could sure use some advice on how best to repair it. What sort of glue to use, or if I need to put on a band how does one go about that? I'm hoping to keep this pipe for the rest of my life so I don't mind taking any amount of trouble over it. Thanks.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I had the same issue with an old Charaton. My B&M shipped ot off to a pro who put a band on it for $25. Money well spent. Norwoods Pipe Reair in Clifton, Tenn. Great work, fast turn around and very well priced. My pipe looks brand new.

990rick

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2011
Good referral and, as alway, good advice from Uncle Arthur. I will send my Karl Erik to a pro. Of the dozen or so really first-rate pipes I have, this one is my favorite. I only paid $17.50 for it, including shipping, because of the split. But it's worth paying more than the purchase price for the repair because it's just a honey of a pipe.

990rick

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2011
I've changed my mind. I know that getting a pro to do this repair is the safe, and probably smart, thing to do. But most of the pros I know of are self-taught. And that includes some really front-rank pipe makers like Rainer Barbi and Karl Erik. I'm pretty sure Uncle Arthur too. And maybe they all knew a lot more than me when they got started, but maybe not. Maybe they just felt drawn to tinkering with and eventually making pipes the same way a moth is drawn to a flame. So here's my plan. I have a very run-of-the-mill pipe that also has a cracked shank. I'm going to learn whatever I can about this type of repair and then I'm going to try to repair this humbler pipe. And if that works out well I'll tackle my Karl Erik. And in the meantime I'm going to put some electrician's tape around my Karl Erik's shank because I'm definitely going to keep on smoking it. My two Karl Eriks and my two Stanwells are currently my four favorites. Anyway, damn the torpedoes! To infinity! And beyond!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
http://www.jhlowe.com/

http://www.pipemakers.org/

These two are thee best sources for repair supplies that I have found.

990rick

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2011
I've emailed the two sites mentioned above and also Pimo, asking what I'll need to make these repairs. I'll get some before pics done while I await responses, but in the meantime if anyone know what type of glue I should use, or has any other advice, I'm all ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.