Crack in the Shank of my Savinelli Florence!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dublinpiper90

Can't Leave
Jul 31, 2023
North Carolina
Crack in one of my favs, been breaking in a new Peterson and changed up went to pack my savinelli and it’s cracked help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: kcghost

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Diamond/square shanks are notorious for cracking.

The unequal wood thickness creates a type of stress riser in the thin spots, and there isn't much wood IN the thin spots... they are effectively pencil shanks, strength-wise.

You're welcome to give gluing a go, but nuking it from orbit with a band is the only way to be sure.

dublinpiper90

Can't Leave
Jul 31, 2023
North Carolina
What sort of help? Fix it yourself? Repair guys recommendations? Leave as is and just smoke it?

If the stem isn't wobbly, I'd just smoke it.
Stem is solid no draw issue currentl, just don’t wanna damage it for further usage, fix myself unless it progresses then I’d consider repair guy

pipesbywoo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2023
Los Angeles
www.etsy.com
Does the crack go all the way through? You might be able to strengthen it with a little CA glue if you're careful and don't care how it looks. Otherwise, try not to disassemble it too often, especially if the stem has a tight fit.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
If I wanted to keep smoking it I'd follow @georged advice and get it banded. With further use it's likely the crack will propagate further, glue repairs seem "iffy" given the location of the crack. As an aside I had a Morta banded as it was starting to show a crack in a similar location, propagation has slowed but not been eliminated by that repair.

MilesDavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 16, 2022
(Caveat: If it were my pipe) I would insert a chop stick coated in Vaseline (to protect the innards) and use it to leverage the crack slightly open, then wick in some thin superglue with a pipette and clamp it tight. I would keep some superglue solvent handy to wipe up the access. The chop stick stays until the job is done. (If it were my pipe! I've used this technique and it worked for me.)

Reactions: ThermionicScott

MilesDavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 16, 2022
Here's a picture from the "Nailed It!" thread. SuperGlue can be the dickens to sand off once it dries, so a bit of Vaseline away from the crack can prohibit a bit of extra work.
20230829_215206576_iOS.jpg