PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
So, caught it from a close family member. Rather than doing me the favor of entirely wiping out my sense of taste and smell, it merely distorted it.:mad: Literally, all my food tastes pretty much the same as does my tobacco and they taste alike! Unfortunately, that taste is crappy. When my wife lights her cigs I cannot handle the smell at all, though it is merely an intensification of the same underlying taste I have with anything that goes in my mouth. How long you think it takes to normalize one's sense of taste?

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
So, caught it from a close family member. Rather than doing me the favor of entirely wiping out my sense of taste and smell, it merely distorted it.:mad: Literally, all my food tastes pretty much the same as does my tobacco and they taste alike! Unfortunately, that taste is crappy. When my wife lights her cigs I cannot handle the smell at all, though it is merely an intensification of the same underlying taste I have with anything that goes in my mouth. How long you think it takes to normalize one's sense of taste?
It varies greatly. I lost my sense of smell completely for almost 3 weeks, then everything smelled like rancid pork fat to me for several weeks, and the scent of original green Palmolive dish soap made want to vomit.

My sense of smell has completely recovered, if anything, it is more sensitive now.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Sorry to hear this Irishearl. Despite all my efforts to avoid catching Covid, I managed to get it from my grocery delivery driver back in May.

For around 4 days I really wanted to die....it was that bad, then all of a sudden it left me!

Regards the sense of smell I must be an outlier. On one of my dressers in my bedroom I have a pot of Old Spice talcum powder. When I'm in bed that container must be about 8 feet from my head.

I noticed several times while I had Covid that despite not using the talc in several weeks I could smell it as if it was right under my nose....how odd is that? I have never smelled it from my bed before unless I had just used it of course.

Fingers crossed for you chum....hope your senses return to you as they were before they went all fuzzy.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: STP and JOHN72

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Mine ran about a week. But taste wasn't a issue. Mine started with coughing and I still get coughing. My older kid got it from his friend, but he's fine. My wife and younger one get it from school trip back 3 months ago and still get coughing fit on occasions.

Reactions: STP

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
My friend felt fine but lost his sense of taste and it still hasn't come back a year later. Weird thing is he has his sense of smell. I thought they were connected. Only "good" thing is he's lost like 40 lbs because he's just not interested in food anymore.

• Wow
Reactions: mawnansmiff and STP

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
If my wife and I have had Covid we didn’t know it.

We’ve had all four of our shots and when the fifth one comes out we’ll be first in line for it.

There’s not much press coverage, but about 500 Americans still die of Covid every day, not counting all the other long term effects suffered.

August 29, 2022

Cases89,199–11%94,068,426
Test positivity15%
Hospitalized37,734–10%
In I.C.U.s4,534–8%
Deaths475–3%1,040,298

500 deaths a day is better than four or five thousand a day, but still it equals about one Pearl Harbor a week.

Get your shots.

The ass you save might be your own.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The new strains of Covid break through vaccines, so maybe I’ve been riddled with Covid and didn’t know it.

All I know is around here we have about a 34% vaccination rate.

We lost 42 boys during World War Two, all on a big plaque at the court house.

We’ve lost 54 to Covid, not a one vaccinated.

Get your shots.

Our chief vaccine denier is over a year dead, on a ventilator, from Covid 19.

In older than vaccination denial.

Back when I was a kid if you didn’t want your shots you’d have gotten beat until you wanted them.

Strange thing was we all lined up for our shots so we’d get ice cream later.:)

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I’m recovering now. It’s been about two months? Lost taste and smell then it was distorted then muted , still in the slightly muted stage , but it’s getting better on the daily.

Very annoying , not good when trying to sell a house and move across country. The brain fog lingers but I have my energy back.

Its different for everyone it takes time and rest.

Make sure to get some Zinc, Turmeric , Ginger , in you everyday it really helps

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I hope that your symptoms end soon.

A couple of days ago I got into a conversation with the check out cashier at my local Ralph's supermarket. She opened it by saying that she was glad to see I was wearing a mask then went on to tell me that she had long Covid, which currently affects about 4,000,000 nationwide, and that her sense of taste and smell haven't returned in the 16 months since she came down with Covid.

She hadn't vaccinated, nor did she mask. She thought it no more than a flu and that the concern was entirely overblown, a position she told me she now regrets. She still won't get vaccinated, but she now masks when going into public spaces indoors.

• Wow
Reactions: lukasstrifeson

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
Oh god..... Hope you guys are better now. I just recovered about a week ago. My wife got it two times, and I was sleeping next to her, didn't separate room, but I didn't get it. This time, my colleague got it, I didn't even touch her, but I got it 🤦‍♂️ Everybody was laughing and asking me "You kissed her, didn't you?" 😅
But my symptoms are very mild, it's only fever, flu (heavy flu), a bit of cough, that's all. Thank god. 🙏

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Down for a month in ‘21, sense of taste and smell fully back after about a year or a little more, lost 20+ pounds, don’t recommend it as a diet plan. Kept it off and 16 months later down a couple more, so I enjoy the “benefits”. My wife had a headache and was uncomfortable for 1 1/2 days, lol, luckily she had to quarantine so someone was here to force me to get up and drive me to a couple hospital appointments. Stay safe and 🙏 to any affected!

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I hope that your symptoms end soon.

A couple of days ago I got into a conversation with the check out cashier at my local Ralph's supermarket. She opened it by saying that she was glad to see I was wearing a mask then went on to tell me that she had long Covid, which currently affects about 4,000,000 nationwide, and that her sense of taste and smell haven't returned in the 16 months since she came down with Covid.

She hadn't vaccinated, nor did she mask. She thought it no more than a flu and that the concern was entirely overblown, a position she told me she now regrets. She still won't get vaccinated, but she now masks when going into public spaces indoors.
The tenants of the house I grew up in have had Covid five times, and still refuse vaccinations.

I’m older than vaccination resistance.

I’d have gotten my ass so beat, if I’d even said out loud I didn’t trust vaccines.:)

Back then Dr. Jonas Salk was a hero.

Being anti science was full out un American.