Covering Bowl With Fingers While Drawing.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
I read this post last night and today I've been trying covering the bowl with a finger. I agree with forum members that it does aid in keeping a pipe lit. Also it does result in a nice satisfying puff. But when I think about the reason I am not convinced it is increased velocity over the ember. The volume of air being taken in doesn't change and the velocity in the stem would be identical with or without covering the bowl. It however would/might cause a fluctuation in velocity in different parts of the bowl. And I wonder if it isn't this turbulance that causes the effects we notice.
I've just been thinking of the reasons today and thought I'd share my thoughts, as misdirected as they may be.

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Restricting the bowl changes the air pressure dynamic in there. This concentrates a greater volume of air into a smaller area. More air, more oxygen, and it's all centralized on the ember giving it new life.
I think the reason we don't see a sharp increase in temperature is that the process creates a small vacuum effect. And while there is more oxygen being concentrated onto the ember, the lack of oxygen in the rest of the bowl doesn't allow it to catch and spread. Rather it has to burn more efficiently what's already lit.
That makes sense in my rattled mind anyways.

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
I can buy into your explanation metro, I don't know where pressuress would be higher or lower in the bowl, but it makes as much or more sense than other explanations. Wouldn't pressure variation result in turbulent air flow?

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I do this but only after smoking it about 25% through. I think I am fearful that i'll burn my fingers (that's happened enough on its own). I saw someone do this at a pipe club meeting, now its a regular thing with me.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
I've found you can get this same sort of "carburetor effect" from the other end by holding the opening of the stem briefly up against the palate - works especially well with P-lips.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Like the choke on an engine, cuts down the oxygen relative to the fuel, tobacco in this case.

More tobacco burns, so you usually get a burst of flavor. My dad used to use a folder of

cardboard matches instead of his fingers, but he'd use a finger as a tamper. (?)

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
I do this by habit as well. Especially when the bowl is going out. Although the fine gentlemen on Youtube I learned the Frank method from recommends never puffing hard when a bowl is going out... Just a simple relight is much better.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Crap.
Cannot figure out how to get Bernouli's equation to format correctly here.
Was going to post it without comment just to be a smart aleck.
That said -- venturi effect can be your friend if the tobacco isn't wanting to stay lit.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Bernoulli_eqn_s.GIF

Here you go, tslex. I hope that does it for you. :lol:

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Glad I could be of service, tennsmoker, just a little high school algebra. BTW, the answer is 47.

wahoo92

Lurker
Jul 26, 2013
As a brand-new pipe smoker, this was one of the best pieces of advice I've received. Started doing this after reading this thread and it works like a champ. Cut my relights by two-thirds without puffing hard, which had only caused serious tongue bite...

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Thanks Kashmir for the explanation.
From the time I was 3 years old I sat on my Grampa's knee and watch him smoke a pipe. He always was covering his pipe and sure enough, the minute I started smoking a pipe I did it the same way.

wulfpack

Lurker
Mar 25, 2015
I have experimented with this (though not extensively) I have found the same as most, that it will help revive a dying ember, though I have also noticed (in my experience) that it does seem to increase the flavor with certain tobacco. It seems to me that tobacco with a sweet flavor, or added flavors, it seems to increase the flavor, where as with more 'pure' tobacco, it does not.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I do it as many have said as more of reflex type thing. Usually when I got everything just where it needs to be and I don't want the pleasure to stop for even a few seconds, I try to muffle the bowl top. If I'd've been more mindful, the tamper would have done a better job and probably prevented a relight but if I'm clenching and busy with something.......out she goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.