PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
Looks great! Good for them. I really respect Jon David for fearlessly pressing forward full-throttle in the face of a government that would see him out of business.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Looks like some great bulk blends on offer. Fortune favors the bold. Good luck to them!

May 4, 2015
If you're interested in anything they blend in house, I can make recommendations. I'm familiar with their line-up.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
love the country squire, jon david is really cool and knows his tobacco, i hope the store never goes out of business, good luck to him and his podcast.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"The Country Squire is Mississippi’s oldest Tobacconist. Founded in 1970."
Blimey, that is very surprising to me. 1870 I could understand but 1970? Whatever happened to all the other tobacconists?
Regards,
Jay.

May 4, 2015
Blimey, that is very surprising to me. 1870 I could understand but 1970? Whatever happened to all the other tobacconists?
I suspect that depends on how you define "tobacconist". The Squire is a pipe-centric shop and always has been. Many of the others were consumed by the cigar boom and didn't continue to focus on pipes is how I've understood it.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
This is also Mississippi, not the U.S. Mississippi was never really part of the tobacco boom so far as I know. It's impressive that this small shop has been around as long as they have, and making what is reported to be some fantastic blends.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
I think they make one called Old Toby that really caught my attention at our last pipe club meeting!
The cigar lounge was rank when I arrived to find the front door propped open and the smell of cigar floating across the parking lot. It looked like 20 or more nubs were stubbed out in the overflowing ash trays. And, apparently, the door was propped open because the exhaust fan was down.
It was a good crowd at the meeting 10 or 11 of us were circled around the high-top table. Three hours of Warhorse, Penzance, and various rubs and flakes, had left our own olfactory impression in the room. It was late and I had to leave.
Josh lit a bowl that cut through all of the stank wkth a sweet smell of, I don't know, chocolate brownie cupcakes with buttered rum icing? It smelled wonderful! I only had time to ask what it was, though Josh generously offered it up, and learned that it was called Old Toby.
I haven't had a chance to order some yet but it is on my list!

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Good fortune to the Country Squire. I have never tried any of their blends, but I would like to learn more about the "Middle Earth" blends and how that works.
Looks as if you can blend your own Middle Earth, or something.
Anyway, I hope the Squire weathers all storms ahead. Good luck Jon!

Status
Not open for further replies.