PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
He didn't qualify the test, simply blindfolded, so yes the sweet feel of a professionally hand cut button would certainly make the pipe more comfortable, therefore a better smoke. As you write, no one does blind tests. Although, I suspect some people have done so. But, I hate to disagree with a mod so, disregard anything I have written which disputes your observations. bdw

Reactions: craig61a

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Crikey, mate, don't put that on me! You can disagree with me as much as you like and that's all fine by me. I don't think we disagree on observations, but a different interpretation of what a blind test is.

The bit would be a giveaway, as would perhaps the feel of the finish, fit of bit to stummel, etc.

Reactions: STP and OzPiper

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Crikey, mate, don't put that on me! You can disagree with me as much as you like and that's all fine by me. I don't think we disagree on observations, but a different interpretation of what a blind test is.

The bit would be a giveaway, as would perhaps the feel of the finish, fit of bit to stummel, etc.
The real blind test would be to not even tell the test subjects what pipes are being tested. I think the mouth feel of the bit should be part of the test though.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Even Rembrandt's early scribbles would go for a lot of money now. I guess that's just part of shaping pipes being an art form as well.

I personally wouldn't pay that much for that particular pipe, but I can see why other Jess Chronowitsch pipes go for a lot of money.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
By craftsmanship and artistry I mean subtleties in balance, coloration, eye appeal, measurement and ratio of bends, parts, and length, width, depth. None of which impact the smoke but all of which impact the overall experience. At this point, price is up to the buyer and seller and any criticism of whatever arrangements they make is left only to the people involved.

Reactions: anotherbob

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Even Rembrandt's early scribbles would go for a lot of money now. I guess that's just part of shaping pipes being an art form as well.

I personally wouldn't pay that much for that particular pipe, but I can see why other Jess Chronowitsch pipes go for a lot of money.
Seriously, I don't. I can see why his earler pipes go for serious money, but the quality of grain figure has been variable more recently, to say the least. It's not that different from why Dunhill could charge high prices for their standard line of pipes, pipes that without the Dunhill stamp would have sold for 1/3 to 1/2 the amount. People are paying for the stamp and to some extent the emotional satisfaction of owning something considered a top of the line luxury product.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
As with many things, the name has an appeal all of it's own. And it's one of a kind, hand made. Not being churned out assembly line fashion.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
And it's one of a kind, hand made. Not being churned out assembly line fashion.

Not always true.

I doubt that every one of those pipes are entirely handcarved/made and one offs. Tom Eltang pipes sell for serious money (to my pocket) and may be hand finished, but the stummels are machine-shaped.

But then Rolls and Ferraris come off assembly lines today. There are not too many bespoke limousines where carriages are literally hand-crafted onto a chassis these days.

Reactions: STP and jpmcwjr

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Not always true.

I doubt that every one of those pipes are entirely handcarved/made and one offs. Tom Eltang pipes sell for serious money (to my pocket) and may be hand finished, but the stummels are machine-shaped.

But then Rolls and Ferraris come off assembly lines today. There are not too many bespoke limousines where carriages are literally hand-crafted onto a chassis these days.
I seriously doubt that Jess cranks out pipes on a frazing machine.

Adding to the demand for these pipes, he stopped making pipes for several years, only recently restarting production. He only makes a few dozen per year.

His work is in high demand. And there is a reason for that.

Eltang has various lines at various price points. But I don't know if he uses a copy frazer. Guy owns a hell of a lot of lathes... but I don't see a copy frazer. In the Workshop | Flickr

Aug 1, 2012
The logical fallacy that many fall victim to is that something increases in performance in proportion to its cost. That's, most of the time, simply not the case. You don't take a $10,000 used Honda that can barely crack 100 mph and expect that if you pay $100,000 for a used Ferrari it should go 1,000 mph. Similarly, you don't expect the difference between a $100 Squier guitar and a $2000 Fender guitar to make a huge difference. You pay for craftsmanship, styling and quality amongst other things, including the "premium" badge. It's one of those things about economics that makes many of us shake our heads. In some cases, it can take a 1000% increase in cost to get a 5% increase in percieved quality. If you don't get that, it's cool. Just please understand that some of us do get it and appreciate it.

Mar 1, 2014
It's also a logical fallacy that paying more will gain any functional benefit at all.
The primary example of course being Cobs vs. Briar, in terms of the quality of smoke delivered to the mouth, there is no benefit to smoking Briar (assuming both pipes are sufficiently caked in).

If the factory pipe manufacturers would design for the same goals as the best Artisan pipes, there would be no benefit whatsoever to buying a pipe over $50.
Actually on that point some of the best pipe stems in my collection right now are on $20 Chinese pipes.

Reactions: STP

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
A logical fallacy is thinking that something is better just because it’s handmade. That $48 Rossi might out-smoke and outlast any 2K+ “used” pipe. As far as craftsmanship and styling regarding the aforementioned pipe… Meh! It looks pretty vanilla to me. You’re paying for the name in this case, which is great if you like it. It’s not important that I appreciate it, but that the carver, SPC, or the new owner does... Good news is that it’s still for sale. So exercise your appreciation and buy it?

Aug 1, 2012
Thank you gentlemen for proving my point. A deeper read into my post would have led you to the part where I wrote "You pay for craftsmanship, styling and quality amongst other things, including the "premium" badge." Notice that nowhere did I write "better." This is intentional. One more example to help drive my point.

A Rolex does not keep better time than my Casio digital watch. However it costs vastly more. You pay for the fact that one was precision made by robots and the other was precision made by hand in Switzerland...and the name on the watch face.

Some of us understand and appreciate the difference, some do not. That's ok.

Mar 1, 2014
Thank you gentlemen for proving my point. A deeper read into my post would have led you to the part where I wrote "You pay for craftsmanship, styling and quality amongst other things, including the "premium" badge." Notice that nowhere did I write "better." This is intentional. One more example to help drive my point.

A Rolex does not keep better time than my Casio digital watch. However it costs vastly more. You pay for the fact that one was precision made by robots and the other was precision made by hand in Switzerland...and the name on the watch face.

Some of us understand and appreciate the difference, some do not. That's ok.
Yes, the Mechanical versus Quartz analogy is perfect.

The phrasing in your first comment was still open for some interpretations to say the absolute best smoking experience requires the most expensive pipe.
While on average that may be the case, it is not an objective requirement.

Reactions: captainsousie
Status
Not open for further replies.