PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have an experienced pipe smoking friend who is blind from birth, but unusually independent -- runs, hikes in the mountains, etc. He has a fine set pipes, briar and Meerschaum. This set me thinking, could I trust myself to buy a pipe blindfolded. I'm not sure. A new pipe might be easier, since there is less to see that you might have to notice on an estate pipe. I could tell something about the finish and the fit, the stem and button, circumference of chamber, and maybe a sense of the drilling, if the bowl were large enough. I'd have some sense of proportion, weight, shape and balance. On the other hand, all of the purely visual cues would be missing. My friend can "see" a lot by extensively having training his tactile senses, so he'd pick up a lot more than I would by feel. He admires furniture when he's a guest at someone's home, and asks and learns about it in a way I might not. Could you buy a pipe blindfolded? What do you think?

How do they get the little blindfolds on the poor little pipes? puf

If I am blind, sure, because why would I give a crap what it looks like. It would be interesting to see what shapes I would chose if I were blind. I do use sight for 90% of the things I look for in a pipe. But, if I were blind, I am certain that my criteria would change.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cosmic, boy this one's a reach, but kinda interesting to think about. Also, a way to think about pipes, how much is by feel anyway, among sighted people? We'll see if others find it worthwhile. I know sometimes I go out on a limb, and no one's going to bother. I'll try to keep it in the road. My dad used to pack his pipe by sticking the bowl in the pouch and shoveling the leaf with his thumb, all by feel, could have been pitch dark. Now I do that too.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and jhowell

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Shoot, I feel like I buy pipes blindfolded many times when buying off of ebay. Some of the photos are so bad, they might as well as not even be there. I don't do it too often, but sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised, but once in a while I get a dud.

To your point though, I suppose I could buy a pipe blindfolded, but would have to ask why would I? I suppose there are a few different answers to that question.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
If you're buying, I can certainly try!

I have bought several pipes online and they might as well had been blindfolded as the pipe I get is usually much smaller than they appear in the picture!

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
Well... In this scenario am I allowed to feel the button of the pipe on my lips?

I'm actually a very tactile pipe smoker. Billiards look and feel good in the hand, so those are at the top on my list. Love the look of volcanoes, but hate how they feel in the hand, so that goes down. Not a fan of the look of bulldogs, but what a grip they offer! Up they go.

I also usually go for blasts and rusticated anyway, especially with smooth tops (that break is irresistible to the touch). I always fondle and fidget with my pipes while puffing away. Of course I'll add the occasional contrast grain beauty to the collection, but given the choice for the same pipe in either finish, I'll go for ring grain before flames or birdseye 9 out of 10 times.

So I'm pretty confident I would be buying similar pipes to what I do now.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I am sure I could, but wouldn't.

I worked with visually impaired folks, and know that most are capable of almost anything, and doing it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.