PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Monday night at a little country grocery store I bought a twist of Cotton Bowl. My grandfather who smoked, dipped, chewed and snorted tobacco for all but his first six of his 92 years on this earth both chewed and smoked Cotton Boll twist, smoked factory and roll your own cigarettes, pipes, cigars, chewed leaf, twist, and plug and dipped and snorted snuff, sometimes all at the same time. He’d even dry out his discarded chaw in coffee cans, and smoke that. He claimed Cotton Boll twist was the same as the homegrown “long green” he started off on about 1886.

To smoke, cut off a half inch or so with a pocket knife and crumble and cut it up, and fill your pipe.

To me it tastes and smokes like Five Brothers, but for adult consumers.

It delivers the nicotine hit of Gaslight minus the catfish bait smell.

This is pure, clean, strong, excellent burley tobacco. It tastes good, like tobacco, and I want more of it.

It doesn’t bite, but it kicks.

Most tobacco companies do not use this strong of burley for blending pipe tobacco, and it’s a pity they don’t.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
It's way too much for me, I don't think I got even 5 minutes into a bowl o' boll before I was head swirling dizzy and very close to throwing up...great for the heavy hitters though!

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
This morning I’m smoking a bowl of Velvet, which right on the package used to say was made of sun ripened Kentucky burley tobacco, aged to perfection in nature’s slow but sure way, and for pipe and cigarettes.

I wouldn’t want to mess with a man who rolled his own Cotton Boll.:)

The tobacco companies had to develop processes to sweeten, flavor, and lower nicotine levels of burley to develop to popularize pipe smoking for the general public.

I’ll bet Cotton Boll uses the tops of the leaves.

Does anybody know?

This morning I’m smoking a bowl of Velvet, which right on the package used to say was made of sun ripened Kentucky burley tobacco, aged to perfection in nature’s slow but sure way, and for pipe and cigarettes.

I wouldn’t want to mess with a man who rolled his own Cotton Boll.:)

The tobacco companies had to develop processes to sweeten, flavor, and lower nicotine levels of burley to develop to popularize pipe smoking for the general public.

I’ll bet Cotton Boll uses the tops of the leaves.

Does anybody know?
I've been told that it is a Rustica variety, and it does taste like it somewhat to me. But, I have no idea. I don't think it is the ligero, top leaves, because the leaves don't seem small enough... but I have this feeling that no matter what I say you will post a bunch of pictures with some texts that has nothing to do with what I post, ha ha.

It could just be an air cured burley variety. But, tasty, and powerful. The strongest I've had. YMMV
If anyone can find a location for where this one is made, let me know.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You can chew it. You also smoke it. As a twist I find in common with all U.S twists that it is very loosely 'twisted' and tends to unravel. The stuff from S&G is a lot denser and tends to slice cleanly although getting it going can be a little challenging for the novice. An excellent tobacco for those in search of that 'Hold My Beer' moment.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
I will just add that this is hands down the strongest tobacco I've ever smoked. It makes McB's Rustica seem like a nice mild all day sorta smoke. It is bold in flavor, like a big greasy cigar, but since smoking these strong blends at night, I no longer have to take anything to go to sleep. I suffered from Insomnia for decades, but one bowl of this, and I can just nod off in my chair.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
I will just add that this is hands down the strongest tobacco I've ever smoked. It makes McB's Rustica seem like a nice mild all day sorta smoke. It is bold in flavor, like a big greasy cigar, but since smoking these strong blends at night, I no longer have to take anything to go to sleep. I suffered from Insomnia for decades, but one bowl of this, and I can just nod off in my chair.
Damn, Now I have to go find some. Shouldn't be too hard to find in NC I would imagine.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I've been told that it is a Rustica variety, and it does taste like it somewhat to me. But, I have no idea. I don't think it is the ligero, top leaves, because the leaves don't seem small enough... but I have this feeling that no matter what I say you will post a bunch of pictures with some texts that has nothing to do with what I post, ha ha.

It could just be an air cured burley variety. But, tasty, and powerful. The strongest I've had. YMMV
If anyone can find a location for where this one is made, let me know.
My grandfather died of infection from an ingrown toenail, and generally of old age, in 1972. He was a damned good old man, able to walk on his hands on his 50th wedding anniversary to his second wife (my grandma) in 1969.

Back then every grocery store had several different brands of twist. Good Money, Mammoth Cave, Honey Bee, I forget all the others, there was a big selection.

Grandpa chewed and smoked them all.

But he liked Cotton Boll the very best, because he claimed it was the same “long green” his father raised, cured, and twisted back when he was a child.

When he was six years old and started first grade in a one room schoolhouse, he earned the privilege of using tobacco.

He was a graduate of Weaubleau Christian College under Whittaker.

But his second wife, after his first wife died in 1918, was the locally famous author “Ma” Agee and once a week for fifty years the readers of The Index were treated to the humorous adventures of Ma and Pa and their pretty daughter Saydee and their youngest boy Sy Thomas, who had dreams of being a university professor or world famous surgeon.

I’m Saydee’s young un from over by Bug Tussle.

But you know my grandfather, because his character was the inspiration for Jed Clampett.

Ya’ll come back now, y’hear?

R J Reynolds sent my grandfather free cartons of Winstons.

He’d smoke them, but Ma Agee never once had the real “Pa” light up a filter tip anything in The Index columns.

His favorite cigarette was Camel.

She lit his last one for him with a Zippo, then he finished it and died real peaceful like, with his entire family surrounding him.

Reactions: Egg Shen
My grandfather died of infection from an ingrown toenail, and generally of old age, in 1972. He was a damned good old man, able to walk on his hands on his 50th wedding anniversary to his second wife (my grandma) in 1969.

Back then every grocery store had several different brands of twist. Good Money, Mammoth Cave, Honey Bee, I forget all the others, there was a big selection.

Grandpa chewed and smoked them all.

But he liked Cotton Boll the very best, because he claimed it was the same “long green” his father raised, cured, and twisted back when he was a child.

When he was six years old and started first grade in a one room schoolhouse, he earned the privilege of using tobacco.

He was a graduate of Weaubleau Christian College under Whittaker.

But his second wife, after his first wife died in 1918, was the locally famous author “Ma” Agee and once a week for fifty years the readers of The Index were treated to the humorous adventures of Ma and Pa and their pretty daughter Saydee and their youngest boy Sy Thomas, who had dreams of being a university professor or world famous surgeon.

I’m Saydee’s young un from over by Bug Tussle.

But you know my grandfather, because his character was the inspiration for Jed Clampett.

Ya’ll come back now, y’hear?

R J Reynolds sent my grandfather free cartons of Winstons.

He’d smoke them, but Ma Agee never once had the real “Pa” light up a filter tip anything in The Index columns.

His favorite cigarette was Camel.

She lit his last one for him with a Zippo, then he finished it and died real peaceful like, with his entire family surrounding him.
Nice story, price of tea, maybe... in China?
I think that you should investigate this "long green" variety. I just checked a seed bank that I buy from, and no long green listed.
There are hundreds of burley varieties.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Funny, I don’t put Cotton Boll and Gaslight anywhere close to the same category.
I didn’t realize Cotton Boll was distributed outside of Kentucky.
they used to have it along with Day-o-Work plug at some convenience stores. I sadly while curious never bought it because most of the things I've bought at those places turned out to be crap. Bungler pipe tobacco for example.

Reactions: Briar Lee