PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Beowoulf

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2022
I got an email this morning that Victory Pipes (in Canada) was having a SALE on Presbyterian Mixture - only $47.51 (US dollars) for a 50 gram tin. I checked it out on Cup O' Joes. They want $12.82 (US dollars) for the same amount. 4noggins was similar. Someone is getting screwed here. So far, I have only bought tobacco from the States. Customs hasn't noticed yet. 🤞

Do What You Gotta Do William Zabka GIF - Do What You Gotta Do William Zabka  Johnny Lawrence - Discover & Share GIFs

It will all be good till you get that one package stopped and they hold your order till you pay an ungodly tax on them. I had this happen sending small tobacco samples to a friend over there. Maybe six flakes and they wanted about one hundred dollar or else the package was to be destroyed.
You will save buying from the US till that one time... you just have to be ready, and accept that it is all a part of the risk of doing that.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I got an email this morning that Victory Pipes (in Canada) was having a SALE on Presbyterian Mixture - only $47.51 (US dollars) for a 50 gram tin. I checked it out on Cup O' Joes. They want $12.82 (US dollars) for the same amount. 4noggins was similar. Someone is getting screwed here. So far, I have only bought tobacco from the States. Customs hasn't noticed yet. 🤞
It’s $11.90 on SmokingPipes.com. But that doesn’t include S/H or any additional fees.

But let’s put this into perspective: Even at nearly $1/gram in Canada, that still makes Presbyterian a more affordable smoke than a cigar of equal quantity and smoking time. Let’s say the tin is an even $50. You’ll get approximately 20 bowls out of that tin, which would equate to $2.50/bowl. I don’t think you could find a 30-40 minute smoke of similar quality for that price.

Last edited:

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
It will all be good till you get that one package stopped and they hold your order till you pay an ungodly tax on them. I had this happen sending small tobacco samples to a friend over there. Maybe six flakes and they wanted about one hundred dollar or else the package was to be destroyed.
You will save buying from the US till that one time... you just have to be ready, and accept that it is all a part of the risk of doing that.
Even if it's stopped by customs and taxes and duty is added, it's still cheaper than buying it here.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
A 50 gram tin in most of Canada is usually $55-60, so $47.51 is actually a decent price.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Once you get dinged, do they seem to catch the shipments more often? Or, does it just remain random?
That's a good question. In my experience it seems to remain random. It is a bit odd because it's all supposed to be automated these days, and smokingpipes has the contents and tax info clearly listed on the stickers, but about 60-70% still make it to me without a customs assessment.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I'm not sure as I have not shopped for tobacco in Quebec. (Can't buy from any other province.) Thank God for American tobacco stores!
I just wasn’t picking up on the Presbyterian not being unique part. I assume prices in Canada aren’t a surprise but sympathize completely.

Come on down!

Reactions: Beowoulf

geoffs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2022
Ontario
If money was no concern to me, I'd happily support the local Tobacco shops. Unfortunately that's not the case.
And that's just how the government wants it. Make no mistake, they are trying to kill tobacco retailers.
And in the meantime, they are also actively promoting marijuana use (I routinely see ads from the government teaching me how to order Cannabis).
It's all very odd and makes no sense.
But we owe gratitude to US merchants who will ship to us. Tobacco retail in Canada is dead so selection is terrible.
(As evidenced by this one retailer making a big deal about stocking Presbyterian Mixture.)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You could quit smoking and save yourself at of apparent consternation. Another option would be moving to the us.

Question for the general membership: Why do people compare cigars v blends prices? Two entirely different smoking experiences. Apples and oranges. Doing such is akin to comparing the cost of swim fins to the cost of an automobile. Both are modes of transportation aren't they?