PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
It would have to be a blue grass punk band... banjo doesn't go well with traditional punk rock... I don't think anyways, ha ha.
Look into "twang bang". A little blip of a sub-sub genre of music that had it's heyday in the mid 2000's in old river towns along the Midwest/South border like St Louis, Louisville, Nashville. It's a fair bit closer to bluegrass, musically, but shares some aesthetics and motivations with punk. My favorites include Kentucky Knife Fight, the Monads, and Pokey LaFarge.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
About 8 years ago, I got a box of old turn of the century, unused bulldog stummels from Skip at The briary. They gave me a chance to hone my hand at making stems and some pipemaking basics. I had/have no intentions of becoming a pipemaker, but I did/do like to make things for myself.

One of the pipes I made was one that quickly became my favorite latakia pipe. I rusticated the stummel, stained it, adjusted the draft, banded it, and made a stem from some antler that I had laying about. I drilled and carved the antler, and then bleached it to give it a whiter color.

View attachment 114172

The antler being very porous, quickly yellowed, and eventually started cracking.

View attachment 114173

So, although I loved the way this one smoked latakia, it went into a drawer. The hard stem just felt terrible on my teeth.

Then, the last few months I saw posts about stems being cast. So, I did a bit of research, and I found that my vacuum casting equipment for production jewelry work, would work just fine for making acrylic stems. Plus, I have always wanted to make a spigot. So, I grabbed that old bulldog I had made out of the drawer and took it back to the drawing board.

View attachment 114175

I made a cap from sterling silver, and set a turquoise into the stem, and... then made a silicon mold from another spigot stem, cast some acrylic under vacuum... made the silverwork for the stem, and viola.

I have repaired several spigots for Skip at The Briary, customers bringing them in after they mangle them, ha ha. Anyways, I became familiar with how other pipemakers have approached the concept. Usually using machined sterling from very thin sheet stock. I prefer my own made pipes to have a touch of couture (when fashion meets art, usually meant to merely influence the future styles). So, I cut the stem side at an angle and used thicker sheet, and a bit of hand fabricating. I was really happy with how it all came together.

View attachment 114176

Just a tad more than 7.25" long, I really like the length. I've also given the fit of the stem the old, sling test, to see if I could dislodge the stem. It passes, with an excellent fit. The angle of the stem side is not as steep an angle as what you see protruding from the cap. The taper changes to make it the perfect angle to keep a tight friction fit. I just had to match the angle of the stem side to the hole's angle to make two angles meet up perfectly. I can't sling it out at all.

View attachment 114178

I also cleaned up the well used stummel a bit, reamed the chamber, and fit it all together. I was really pleased. And, I am looking forward to smoking this one often in the winter.

View attachment 114179

Mrs. Cosmic is always off put when I start sketching out designs for white stems on my pipe designs. It does come across as formal, black and white. But, she really liked the way the touch of red on the bead line, and the blue of the turquoise cab added a touch of whim.

View attachment 114180

Anyways, I have already started breaking it in a bit yesterday, and I look forward to continuing my relationship with this pipe, and it's new duds. OH yeh, it passes a pipe cleaner, no problem, if you have an extra long one. But, being a spigot, I can break it apart at any time during a smoke if I need to.

I've already contacted a pipemaker (who I won't throw under the bus) for some more stummels to play around making myself some more spigots, maybe trying to get a little more wild with the designs. I do have a lathe in my machine shop, and I have made a few stummels, but the woodworking part of pipemaking doesn't appeal to me much. I'm lucky enough to know Skip well enough to get some contacts with the artisan pipemakers who can more easily get me shapes that I want to work with. I may make a stummel or two in the future. I do have a fully functional machine shop next to my studio. I just am not crazy about getting briar dust all over the precision equipment. I use it mostly for making machine parts for repairing machinery, and making specific tools when I need them, so I like to keep things very clean in there.

Anyways, thank you for looking. What do you think of the makeover?
That looks great.

• Love
Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Aug 1, 2012
Cosmic, if you ever go into business doing spigots like that, let me know about a year in advance so I can save up to be the first in line to buy one of your spigots. The stone accent sets it off in a way that is appealing to me.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Fabulous work! Love the conversion to a spigot and the rustication, finish, etc etc. For me, I would have left off the stone. Clearly in the minority, I see!

Thanks for posting such an entertaining and enlightening piece.

• Love
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Very nice! Not as nice as nice as the pipe stand you made, but this is up there. Using the thicker silver definitely adds a look of extra quality and craftsmanship. The cutout around the stone is another small detail that really elevates the whole piece.

• Love