PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I love my IM Corona Old Boy lighter. Sure it's a bit on the expensive side compared to other options, but it is one of those quality items that will last a lifetime. You can buy lighters for a third of the price that won't last you more than a few months at most.

They feel great in hand and last a long time on a fully filled tank in my experience.

IMG_20200403_215639.jpg

Reactions: Tommy Boy
Oct 7, 2016
The downside to that is that after spending $100+ for them, when they need to be serviced it's $30+. Zippo has lifetime service for free.
I purchased my Old Boy in the late 1990’s. I use everything to light my pipe except flint and steel or a magnifying glass to focus the sun’s rays . But the Old Boy gets used a lot. This year the seals went out. I sent it to Arango with a check for $35 and less than six weeks later I had it back, good, as far as I can tell, for another 20 years.

Hint: Old Boys are sold with a minimum ADVERTISED price agreement. Retailers can do better, they just can’t advertise it. . Ask. If not an outright cash reduction, most can be talked into adding free goods. Won’t work at some of the larger etailers, but fish around. You’ll get a bite.

Reactions: Tommy Boy

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I purchased my Old Boy in the late 1990’s. I use everything to light my pipe except flint and steel or a magnifying glass to focus the sun’s rays . But the Old Boy gets used a lot. This year the seals went out. I sent it to Arango with a check for $35 and less than six weeks later I had it back, good, as far as I can tell, for another 20 years.

Hint: Old Boys are sold with a minimum ADVERTISED price agreement. Retailers can do better, they just can’t advertise it. . Ask. If not an outright cash reduction, most can be talked into adding free goods. Won’t work at some of the larger etailers, but fish around. You’ll get a bite.
Bought this Zippo for my dad's birthday in '93. He used it regularly until he passed away seven years ago, and I've used it often since. $30, has never needed service and no need to replace the wick yet.

20200330_011719.jpg

Mis Pipas

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Holy Land
They are all very good as long as they don't break down. I have a Peterson and a Kiribi, both are now being repaired (still under warranty thankfully). I don't smoke outside, if so I would try a zippo. Be aware that it has a warranty service nearby. I use matches frequently

Oct 7, 2016
I goes a week between fills. About the same as my Old Boy.
Old zippos were much better than the ones made by them since at least 2016 (the last time I bought one) at holding fuel. I have one bought in the 1990’s that has a much thicker gauge case and a hinge that doesn’t allow the top to wiggle back and forth. Putting the pipe lighter sleeve from the new one into the old one acheived a better fit and helped, but did not eliminate, the evaporation issue. The Old Boy is used more and a fill lasts longer. Not even close.

And yes, I am aware of the numerous kludge fixes for this issue, have been for years. But to me, pipe smoking should be a complete, unadulterated, pleasure. I get frustrated with my Zippo when the damn thing is empty and won’t light my pipe when I want it to. IMO, they used to be a quality product and an example of American production at its best, like 1970’s Maytag washers. But hey, at least they service them for free. The Postal Service needs your patronage, so I guess it is a win win.

Just my experience, YMMV.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I have a Zippo with a pipe insert, an Old Boy, three Xikars, and a Nimrod. I have not tried the Kiribi.

Outdoors, it's the Zippo since it will work even with a breeze blowing, but I don't like the need for frequent filling. I mostly smoke indoors and the Old Boy will give me many more lights on a filling. It is also easier to fill and a solid reliable product. The older Coronas went through a period where the quality suffered, but my current one which is about 10 years old, is a gem.

I will also give a plug to Xikar. The Pipeline model which looks like an Old Boy, does not have the fit and finish of the Corona but mine works just fine. I also have two of the Xikar Scribe lighters because I like the way I can clip them in a shirt pocket. They work fine too and have the advantage of staying lit while keeping your hand away from the flame. Very helpful when you're trying to light your pipe while driving.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I find them quite fragile. I have posted a thread earlier this year regarding mine having a pressure problem, at the end of the day I had to send it in for repairs (I haven't got it back yet) as all the tricks in the book didn't work. I got mine at a discount otherwise I wouldn't have paid the whole price in a million years. Like paul said, the peterson and kirbi is the same darn thing, but for about 30% less money. On the up side, for the three years I had it was a reliable lighter, but for indoor use only. While it does light on the first turn of the spark wheel, it will go out on the slightest breeze. After years and years of playing with lighters ... I guess I have reached the conclusion that matches are your best bet.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
For me, both my Corona and my Zippo have their place and, serve me well. My Corona stays in the house and my Zippo resides in my car. I fill them both once a week. I've had my Corona for about 10 years. The Zippo, a 1941 reproduction with a pipe chimney is slightly newer. My only regret is not springing for the pewter model.
Mike S.

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
Love my Corona but, as others have mentioned, not great in the wind. As an aside, my dad's Zippo fell out of his pocket and into a wood chipper he was working with back in the 70's. When he found it on the other end, it was beat to death but still lit. He sent it in to the company on a lark. They sent a great letter in return saying that they put it in their "museum" and included a brand new replacement.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Love my Corona but, as others have mentioned, not great in the wind. As an aside, my dad's Zippo fell out of his pocket and into a wood chipper he was working with back in the 70's. When he found it on the other end, it was beat to death but still lit. He sent it in to the company on a lark. They sent a great letter in return saying that they put it in their "museum" and included a brand new replacement.

Zippo LOVES stories like that!

Mike S.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
For over a dozen years I used this one (IM Corona Old Boy) with the only issues being to replace a couple of seals. It is the the last lighter on the right hand side.

Then I found out how much more I like the IM Corona Pipemaster, and bought 9 of them with the last being this one.

Silver with the wood on the side, a Gold Finish, a Silver Finish, 2 of the ones with pipe shapes.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
The downside to that is that after spending $100+ for them, when they need to be serviced it's $30+. Zippo has lifetime service for free.

Not if you buy it at Smokingpipes, they have a contract with them, that after the two warranty runs out, Smokingpipes covers it afterwards. This is the reason I bought an Old Boy from them... Basically speaking, you buy it from Smokingpipes, you are covered for life.

Reactions: wyfbane
Status
Not open for further replies.