PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
These look tasty:
Redburn
Beginning with healthy portions of white and dark Burley blended with red and bright Virginia leaf, C&D's Redburn then incorporates a touch of spicy dark fired Kentucky, topping it with the flavors of dark rum and molasses and pressing into an old fashioned crumble cake.
John Marr
A poetic mixture of bright and red Virginias with a good portion of Turkish leaf, elevated by genial portions of Perique and black Cavendish, and topped with the flavors of bourbon and vanilla, C&D's John Marr is an unparalleled voyage of sweet complexity.
Billy Budd Blonde
A blend of bright Virginia flake, white Burley, chopped cigar leaf, and a touch of Perique, Billy Budd Blonde is a sweet sequel to the original Billy Budd — offering much of the same piquant spice, only without the heavy dose of Latakia.
Billy Budd
One of C&D's most popular mixtures, Billy Budd is a true Latakia powerhouse, combining generous portions of the fragrant leaf with rough-cut Burley, bright Virginia flake, and a good amount of rough-cut cigar leaf. Originally created for C&D's late friend Sailorman Jack.
Perhaps these fit with the fascination for pipes in Melville, ably described in this article, including this relevant excerpt from Moby Dick:
What…made Stubb such an easygoing, unfearing man, so cheerily trudging off with the burden of life in a world full of grave peddlers, all bowed to the ground with their packs; what helped to bring about that almost impious good-humor of his; that thing must have been his pipe. For, like his nose, his short, black little pipe was one of the regular features of his face. You would almost as soon have expected him to turn out of his bunk without his nose as without his pipe.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
That Billy Budd Blonde sounds fantastic. One I'd like to try is Redburn; but I am unclear how the topping works with the tobaccos ... has anyone smoked it yet?

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
That's for pointing these out. The article to go along with it made it even better.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
Billy Budd Blonde sounds the most interesting to me. I am hoping to get a bunch of good samples from the Chicago Pipe Show this year.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I picked up a tin of RedBurn with a stash of McClelland blends last night. With the McClelland Closing, I had to chase off the urge to wipe Smokingpipes out of their Bayou Night.
3 tins of Balkan Blue

3 tins of Katerni Classic

3 tins of Drama Reserve

1 of Reburn and 1 of Bayou Night, then I tapped out.
Smokingpipes.com got off easy this time, but I'm coming back for more of that Bayou Night.
I think Redburn is going to be an instant classic. Jeremy knows how to work some magic with molasses.

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
My Redburn is coming in the morning. I am crossing my fingers that it is going to be a combo of Black Frigate and Orlik Dark Strong. I also ordered a tin of the John Marr, and Dreams of Kadath in which i still haven't tried yet.

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
Oh I forgot to ask. I am confused on these series tobacco lines. Are these small batch blends with numbered tins like Sansepolcro. Are they limited run tins? On the picture it says mixed in small batches.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
No, these are not limited release. It's an advertisement to say that C&D is a "Small Batch" company.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The original Billy Budd represents artistry in the use of cigar leaf in a pipe blend, not a cigar experience at all, but an appealing pipe tobacco. I haven't tried it yet, but I would think the Billy Budd Blonde would be tasty. 'Just ordered some bulk C&D, Tuggle Hall and Bayou Night (to try again after some years), along with some Sutliff Lord Nelson.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Mso, Bayou Night has become one of my favorites. I smoke it in a 5Star McArthur. I love Latakia in small doses, because it seems to add a spice instead of that looming smokiness.

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
I am having my second bowl of John Marr and loving it, but i think i know why. This blend seems to taste and smell from tin exactly like Haunted Bookshop. The only difference to my pallet is H.B. has more pepper in taste. I do not get any of the vanilla/burbon at all in the smoke or tin note. This to me is straight burley. Anybody else have any comments on this blend?

samw74

Jan 28, 2017
New York , NY
I received a tin of Billy Bud Blonde today. It was tinned about a week ago. I'm going to wait until this summer to open it up. I'm curious to hear how it is.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Cosmic what you say about writing a review of your favorite Judaica blend? I've always been intrigued by them.

Status
Not open for further replies.