PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Notice the possible need for "breathing" first with Lat blends. They can be rather sharp on the first bowl when tin's first opened. After few days, Lat settles nicely for mellower smoke. Then noticed again with Windjammer. It was rather "flat" for me at first, but after couple of weeks, pretty damned good. Either way, have to have that first bowl when the tin is open. "Life is like a box of chocolate.." and all that jazz. Beside, I haven't opened two tin of same blend so far. So many blends, so little time.

Whiskey

Lurker
Jul 13, 2021
KCMO
Gorgeous pipe!!! I got paid on Tuesday instead of Monday like usual and had some unforeseen vet bills that led to me not being able to get any on Monday. It was gone Tuesday. I was so looking forward to this one, I’m really bummed….. enjoy it!
I bought a can. I also tried another year. I don’t think it’s my jam. If you want a can PM me.

VegetableSpoons

Might Stick Around
Sep 3, 2021
Harford, Maryland
In many cases, these one off and limited edition blends will benefit from some long term rest, at least 6 months or so in my opinion. This allows the flavors to marry.
I bought two tins of the 2021 sun bear release, but have yet to open either. Would you suggest only aging the tin for 1-2 years so the toppings stay prominent or to put the tin away for closer to 5-10 years?

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I bought two tins of the 2021 sun bear release, but have yet to open either. Would you suggest only aging the tin for 1-2 years so the toppings stay prominent or to put the tin away for closer to 5-10 years?
Open one tin, let it breathe for about 2 weeks in the ti , then smoke it. It's fantastic? Then make the decision whether to cellar the other tin or just smoke it fresh-ish and buy more the next release.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I smoked one bowl the day my tin came in and it started out decent. Very mild. I could taste the honey and faintly sense the tequila and a very very mild hint of Virginia. After a relight, I got nothing from the tobacco. It very much reminded me of an aromatic cavendish without the sweetness. Just honey flavor. I have decided to put it in a jar and let it breathe for a while, because I'm convinced this can't be what it's supposed to be.
I'd like to report back. After my initial experience, I waited about 2 weeks. Just left the tobacco in the tin with the lid on. This time it was a delightful smoke.

Here are my comments from that day when I text a friend about it.

"Letting it breathe for a couple weeks really brought it to life. The honey is much more subdued and the tequila is more prominent. I can also taste the elder flower in the background. Nice toast and hay from the VA and a little mild cigar from the izmir."

Overall, my second impression was that this is definitely a solid blend. I've only smoked two bowls, so this is by no means a review. Just an update on a better experience.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Most of the C&D “small batch” blends, or any recently manufactured blend made by anybody benefits with some time to rest after it’s shipped out.