PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
So, I posted a bit ago about this amazing blend on "What Are You Smoking" and realize I got a bit winded on that thread. I should have been saying much of it here. So here is a bit of copy and paste for those that didn't see that thread, those that have ... carry on

I've smoked 5 bowls of a very, very special blend that was gifted to me by my SS, @LotusEater. Cornell & Diehl Small Batch "From Beyond". I've been so blown away by this blend. Thanks again SS!

I've come to the conclusion, that this small batch of amazing pipe tobacco is on another level from any other English blend I have yet to smoke. It is simply the most well balanced and well-rounded smoke I have ever had the pleasure of smoking. I don't know how many different English blends I've tried over the years, but I do know this one stands out like a diamond in the rough.

Amazingly, but not surprising, the blend has a bit of everything...
From SPC: Made from Top-tier, 2017 Eastern NC Red Virginias and Bright Canadian flue-cured leaf of the same vintage combine with 2018 Turkish Izmir, 2019 Greek Basma, Dark Burley, Cypriot Latakia, and genuine St. James Perique.

Now who'd a thunk you could put all that together and create something that is truly unique in the world of English blends?

I'm sorry I can't describe any nuances about the smoke... I don't have that kind of discerning palate like @JimInks does. Perhaps that's a tribute to how well balanced it is. I just can't find anything that jumps out at me... It's just really damn good! That's the best review I know how to give it.

If your lucky enough to have a tin of this in your cellar, I don't know whether to tell you to smoke it, or put it in a safety deposit box. If your blessed enough to have more than one tin, and you haven't tried it yet, I'd definitely recommend popping that baby open, strap in and hang on... prepare for a trip to Never Never Land ... cause we'll never see this stuff again ...

IMG_0228.jpg

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I love the stuff and have expressed my adoration on several occasions. I cellared a bit but not quite as much as I probably should have since I gave a few tins away.

If you're working you're way around the Latakia (English blend) world, and you haven't already tried it, I'd suggest giving SG Squadron Leader a whirl. I goes in a different direction than From Beyond but is a step above boring English blends and is well worth trying/cellaring.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
II'm sorry I can't describe any nuances about the smoke... I don't have that kind of discerning palate like @JimInks does. Perhaps that's a tribute to how well balanced it is.

Apparently Jim liked it too. Here is his review - The Izmir and Basma offer plenty of earth, wood, vegetation, floralness, some herbs, spice, creamy buttery sweetness and sourness as the lead components. The incense-like floral Cyprian Latakia provides plenty of earth, wood, smoke, mustiness, some sweetness, and light spice. It has an important support role, though it occasionally equals the Orientals. The aspects of the Eastern North Carolina red Virginias are a lot of tangy ripe dark fruit, earth, wood, bread, sugar, and slight touches of vinegar and spice as secondary supporters. Right behind the reds in terms of effect is the bright Canadian Virginia. It produces plenty of tart and tangy citrus, grass, bread, sugar, some floralness, sour lemon, light spice, and a little acidity. The earthy, woody, spicy, plumy, raisiny St. James perique is a step above being a condiment. The earthy, nutty, woody, sweet dark burley is barely a condiment. The strength and nic-hit are a rung past the medium mark. The taste level is just past the center of medium to full. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. Has some rough edges which is typical of blends in this genre. Burns cool and clean at a moderate pace with a lightly inconsistent sweet and more sour, floral, potent campfire flavor that extends to pleasantly lingering after taste. Leaves little dampness in the bowl. Requires an average number of relights. Has a pungent room note. Not an all day smoke. Three and a half stars due to the aforementioned small inconsistency.

-JimInks

• Love
Reactions: JimInks and monty55

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I love the stuff and have expressed my adoration on several occasions. I cellared a bit but not quite as much as I probably should have since I gave a few tins away.

If you're working you're way around the Latakia (English blend) world, and you haven't already tried it, I'd suggest giving SG Squadron Leader a whirl. I goes in a different direction than From Beyond but is a step above boring English blends and is well worth trying/cellaring.
I have 15 tins of SG Squadron Leader with Perique in my cellar. I like it better than the plan Squadron Leader.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
wow... I was looking for his review on TobaccoReviews.com and there was nothing.
Great! Thanks brother!
Idk if he liked it as much as I did lol. Truthfully, I couldn't taste or find much of the things he mentioned, but that doesn't mean much. I'm no expert like he is.
I'm constantly reminded how everyone has their own taste with this pipe smoking thing...

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
That stuff came out right as I was getting into pipes. I had no idea what an “English” blend was. I bought a tin of it based on how I bought most tobaccos back then: the name was cool. Still got it tucked away. Looking forward to it!

Reactions: monty55

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Hmm, I've been sitting on the two tins I bought but you've convinced me to bust one open. I almost forgot about them tbh. Has it really been a year and a half since it was released? The time has flown by

PaulDM

Lurker
Dec 12, 2022
Ha, totally forgot I had bought two tins of this. Now I am excited. I have a lot open and jarred so may let this sit a bit longer.