PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Smoked my first bowl this afternoon in a cob straight out of the tin without drying and found it to be enjoyable. I'll have to dry some and smoke a few more bowls before I know for sure how I feel about it. I really like Corn Corn Pipe and a Button Nose (2016)...not a fan of Golden Days of Yore (2015).

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Golden Days of Yore is awesome, but it has to be smoked slow. It’ll burn the shit out of the tongue.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Anyone getting a toasted pecan flavor from St Nick? I think it’s the Black Cavendish. It shows up in the first half of the bowl, especially in the retrohale. If not, it may be my pipe!! 8O

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Golden Days of Yore is awesome, but it has to be smoked slow. It’ll burn the shit out of the tongue.

I haven't given up on it. Maybe I'll feel different about next year.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I haven't given up on it. Maybe I'll feel different about next year.
I'd totally suggest that as well. It wasn't my thing at first but it grew on me and now it's one of my favorite blends.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Anyone getting a toasted pecan flavor from St Nick?
I just finished my first tin of St. Nick and did occasionally pick up a nutty flavor that I couldn't quite identify. Now that you mention toasted pecan, that may be what I'm getting.
I bought a four tins each of Golden Days of Yore and Corn Cob Pipe & Button Nose when they first came out. Both were good but I have two tins of Golden Days left and only 1 tin of Button Nose.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Pappy, you obviously like the Button Nose better. I liked Button Nose, I bought the 8oz can and have about half of it left. I like the spice in Button Nose. As it ages, the topping loses that crazy cherry/raspberry thing, which was a distraction to my palate. Because of the spice I picked up in Button Nose, I always wished they’d thrown some perique in there. With the Release of St Nick, the addition of perique has been satisfied and it really does a fine job of complimenting the orange/ginger topping. Besides Black Figate, St Nick has to be my favorite tin art from C&D.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Perdurabo - I like Jolly Old St. Nick even better than Button Nose. I'm getting ready to order a couple of more tins.
I just found I have a tin of McClelland's Holiday Spirit 2017. I'm debating whether to open it this year or wait.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I ordered more St Nick this morning. I went from on the Fence to loving it. I love it when that happens. I may have to go back on recent comments on the blend. I may like the St Nick better than Golden Days of Yore! :wink:
I believe tin separation anxiety may be at play here.
Damn I created a new pipe tobacco term.
TSA: Tin Seperation Anxiety- when a tobacco is removed from the tin and allowed to marinate in a jar where air is exposed to a mixture. For a period of time the tobacco is allowed to sit and the anxiety of the Pipe Enthusiast is relaxed from fresh tin flavor.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
TSA: Tin Seperation Anxiety- when a tobacco is removed from the tin and allowed to marinate in a jar where air is exposed to a mixture. For a period of time the tobacco is allowed to

sit and the anxiety of the Pipe Enthusiast is relaxed from fresh tin flavor.
Use it in a sentence.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Ok It may be the anxiety from time period between Tin and Jarring.
So Jonny is experiencing TSA. The first bowl out of the tin was “Alright”. 3 days later he tries the blend from the jar and is like “Head Exploded” This shit is good.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I popped a tin of this the other day. Not a tobacco for me. First 15 minutes of every bowl was very bland, very little orange taste, can't taste the perique at all, and it's dominated by ginger which I'm not a fan of. If you like ginger this is the tobacco for you; otherwise leave it for someone else. I smoked two bowls in a briar and two bowls in a meerschaum, and it didn't matter it was not to my liking.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
MetalHead, search throughout the tin for the perique and pack it perique heavy. I’ve had a few bowls where I got a nice dose of perique and It changed my mind. But ginger may be the complete turn off. May become trade worthy!

Status
Not open for further replies.