PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
1647478413129.png

Cracking the can open wafts of what smells like a late 1970's Alabama Slammer rum-punch drink. The tobacco that I had came in strips unlike the picture above, but that's fine.

Taste reminds me of a Connecticut cigar with Perique that's a bit figgy. Imagine perhaps Seattle Pipe Co. Plum Pudding mixed-in with cigar tobacco and Burley overtones. In the finish, a bit of unusual Cavendish to round it out, or at least, it attempts to "creamify" it but, in my opinion, unsuccessfully, but not in a bad way, and here's why:

My tin was 2 months old. This is far too young and it needs to age and cellar. Flavors argue like tween siblings on a road-trip back seat that can allegedly hold 3, and three sit there shoulder-to-shoulder, but it's really meant for two occupants, and they fuss and endure and bicker and shove. I mean, they actually fit back there but.. it's gonna be a long trip and everybody knows it.

I was surprised this hit me a bit hard like a bang with the nicotine. It's strong-ish. Not as strong as Kendall's Chocolate Flake that had me almost pass-out (the strongest tobacco I've ever had) but this is probably up there like my #2 out of the several hundred (if not over a thousand) tobaccos I've tried. It's like locomotive-smoking an Opus X. Don't.

No Latakia here, which is something I was expecting, replaced with Katerini for a more Macedonian/Greek experience.

Taste is a little sour and a little vanilla creamy with fig and lemon.

I also had a hard time keeping this lit! I haven't had this problem in a while, but probably my light inexperience with plugs and rubbing it out properly, letting it dry, etc. My fault.

So.. a few recommendations: Sip it slow and take your time with it. Consider the flavors, but FIRST let it AGE. I really feel this will be excellent in about 5 years. So it sits in the back, and dreams, and waits.

Recommended to try, and then I bet it'll be awesome after aging.

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Thanks for this. I used to love this blend but don't keep it anymore. C&D kind of became thin for me, if that makes sense. I may grab some and cellar it based on your review. I also remember liking Miskatonic Mixture quite a bit, but again, I have no more. The only CD I've kept on hand is Black Frigate, which I still enjoy a lot. Cheers!

wolflarsen

Jul 29, 2018
Ahhhhhh .... Kadath.
Not only is it the ancient city of dream gods in the novels of Lovecraft, but also a weird ass tobacco blend that tastes like it's topped with red wine, and a catchy little tune written in the hills of Austria by a famous composer named Blood. What's not to like?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacob74

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
I also have a tin of that sitting around that I haven't opened yet. I'll have to breach the seal as soon as I finish some of the other stuff I have open.

trudger

Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Just so there is an opposing view of this one - I think Dreams has a tin odor not a tin note. Plum brandy or rum punch with rotten fruit on a hot beach. I smoked the tin but never again my friends. Katarini is not my thing was my lesson learned. YMMV